Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cam/lifter break in Oil
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 03:06 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27TRoadsterguy View Post
No, unfortnately its hydraulic lifters, I want to go that way, with a street/strip cam and solid lifters, but I think building a flathead would have been an easier task. I will tell you something, I went to Jack dow's and came out empty handed, Rob doesn't carry Moly products at all, and he said he can't get it. I went to the GM dealer down the street and got a pint of EOS, but they don't stock the cam and lifter pre-lube stuff any more. They can get it but I would have to buy a case, and thats not gonna happen. I am stuck with no material for the lifter faces, except the Permetex Ultra Slick, so that's how my day has gone. One nice thing about being retired.... I have lots of time to chase down parts and materials for an antique engine thats almost as old as I am...LOL
I may have a work-around for you if you can't get a hold of cam break in lube.

B&S (yeah, the mower motor people) sells a moly lube that looks just like the cam lube we all know and love. Dark grey/black, stains the hands, the whole deal. Most any mower shop should carry it and IIRC I've even seen it at either Home Depot or Lowes (check online or call for it first).

Now, cam break in lube is obviously preferred, but this will certainly be better than using white grease or something like that. Work it (or any cam break in lube, for that matter) into the metal- especially on the cam lobes. There's enough surface "porosity" from the parkerizing-type treatment that the lube needs to be rubbed onto/into the lobes, not just laid on the metal. It doesn't need to be slathered all over the place, just on the lobes and foot of the lifters- not on the bearing journals. Motor oil is all the bearings/journals need.