Cam/Lifter Issues - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 09:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cam/Lifter Issues

Hey Gang..

I have an issue with the new cam I installed. I contacted Comp Cams and got their advice on a camshaft. They suggested a 268 XFI HR13 camshaft. I have a 383 Eagle Crank, Eagle Rods, Speed Pro flat top 2 valve relief pistons, Dart Aluminum 72cc chambers, 180cc intake runners, TPI 24lbs injectors, 58mm throttle body Harris Proformance Chip. I have a roller block. I installed the cam new roller lifters, 1.6 rockers. It ran okay. I was not too impressed. I pulled a Comp XE262H. Changed springs to Engine Pro 1.437 135# @ 1750 install height. When I installed the heads I checked the springs and after the break in the springs were 130# on the seat. And 300# at .575 lift. I ran the engine for about 3 weeks and I bet I adjusted the valves 4 times. At idle they was no noise. at about 2500 rpm I could hear the lifters. Well last week I was out for a drive and was going down the highway at about 70 mph and the rpm were around 2100 and 50 lbs oil pressure(Tremec TKO600 with 3.08 gears and 25.5 tires) I started to hear my lifters. So I went home and pulled the valve covers and started adjusting the lifters. Started it back up with the valve covers off and noticed my rockers looked like they were metal flaked. So I shut the engine down and started pulling the motor apart. I thought I must have wiped out the camshaft. got the cam out and it looked perfect, so my next thought was must have wiped out some bearings so I pulled the pan and started looking at bearings looked like new. the only thing I can think of is it must be coming from the inside of the lifters. I put the old XE262H cam in and pulled the inter springs now I'm at 110 on the seat. Got it back together last night and sound great 60 lbs at cold idle and 50 at warm idle. lifters are quite as a church mouse. I've heard some folks are having problems with the roller lifters on these XFI camshafts because of the aggressive ramp on these camshafts. Any suggests, comments, abusive statements??

Thanks Mitch

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Mekanicus Automotive Group

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

To roll, or nor to roll, that is the question.

Rollers are a completly different animal to me, but did you have a zinc addative in the oil before you fired up and ran it? If not there is a good chance that you did beat that cam up a bit. It may not look like it on the lobes, but I'll bet if you took the micrometers to it it will be a different story. I've killed camshafts in ten minutes during break in all because I didn't have a good zinc addative. These are just my thoughts, hope they helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.