cam/lifter question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

cam/lifter question

been looking at cams and lifters and had a few questions.

1) cams come in mech. roller or flat and hydo. roller or flat.
how would it konw the difference between a mech or hydro roller.
or in the other case the difference between a hydro or mech. flat tappet the ends touching the cam are the same its the push rod end that's different aint it??

2) hydro seams to be better for most people and requires less maintenance but y is solid mech. more expensive you figure its got less technology in it and requires more maintenance that it would be cheaper.

3) whats the rpm limit of the hydro lifters weather it be roller or flat before you get all of the valve float problems and oiling issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

If you're going to drag or spin it high rpm's go for the solid roller, if you going to drive it on the street, the hydraulic roller is the way to go. I run a solid roller in my 55 chev drag heap and set the valves every time i change the oil, it's just regular maintenance.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Essex
If you're going to drag or spin it high rpm's go for the solid roller, if you going to drive it on the street, the hydraulic roller is the way to go. I run a solid roller in my 55 chev drag heap and set the valves every time i change the oil, it's just regular maintenance.
Then there's the guy who runs a solid roller driven on the street, spun to 8000 rpm's on occasion, and set the valves annually.

I think it all comes down to working knowledge of what you have, paying close attention to the sound of your car, how it runs, and using that working knowledge to catch problems before they become a catastrophe.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddmonky
1) cams come in mech. roller or flat and hydo. roller or flat.
how would it konw the difference between a mech or hydro roller. Or in the other case the difference between a hydro or mech. flat tappet the ends touching the cam are the same its the push rod end that's different aint it??
I suppose an experienced eye could see the difference. An aftermarket cam will be stamped with the part number on the rear end of the cam, so you can reference it back to a catalog or call the mfg. The profile of the lobe is different between flat and roller. Experimentally speaking, you might get away with running a roller tappet on a flat tappet cam for a short while, but not the other way around. (heavy emphasis on "short while"). Roller cams are made from harder material than flat tappet grinds. That's the reason you have to make concessions with the distributor gear. A standard steel distributor gear is incompatible with the material in a roller cam.

Quote:
2) hydro seams to be better for most people and requires less maintenance but y is solid mech. more expensive you figure its got less technology in it and requires more maintenance that it would be cheaper.
Much more expensive materials must be used in a roller solid cam due to the abuse it will receive.

Quote:
3) whats the rpm limit of the hydro lifters weather it be roller or flat before you get all of the valve float problems and oiling issues.
Just over 6000, but you can use a rev kit which consists of additional springs in the lifter valley to gain more rpm. Hydraulic tappets also come in an "anti-pump-up" design that will rev higher before floating. The limit on roller hydraulics is normally due to their weight. The roller wants to "loft off" the lobe profile and the spring can't control it. That's where a rev kit comes into play. But if you think about it, if you need more rpm's, you probably should have chosen a solid roller in the first place.

Last edited by techinspector1; 04-26-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Roller cams are made from harder material than flat tappet grinds.
As techinspector already indicated, you can tell a flat tappet cam from a roller by the material. From what i experienced, flat cams are mostly cast iron and rollers made from steel (billets). FWIW, the first will have a black finish in between the lobes and on the shaft whereas a roller will have the same color throughout and you would also be able to see the machining marks on the shaft.

One more thing may be that solid will in certain cases make more power than a hydraulic because of the tight lash figures and absent hydraulic coupling in the lifter.

Just thought i'd add this, all the other info is detailed enough i guess

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.