Cam and lifter question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 12:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cam and lifter question

I am purchasing a cam and lifter kit for my father for Christmas. He has a 1962 283 in his 1957 chevy. Set up is Edelbrock carb, edelbrock peformer intake, stock ignition, stock exhaust, turbo 350 trans. with stock stall, and stock rear end. I want to get him a good cam with a good "thump." Any suggestions? I put a Thumper cam in my 351W and both he and I love it but I think that is too much for his stock application.
I appreciate any help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

an "rv" cam is about as large as I would go with that mild build- typically 205/215 duration on a 112lsa.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane351 View Post
I am purchasing a cam and lifter kit for my father for Christmas. He has a 1962 283 in his 1957 chevy. Set up is Edelbrock carb, edelbrock peformer intake, stock ignition, stock exhaust, turbo 350 trans. with stock stall, and stock rear end. I want to get him a good cam with a good "thump." Any suggestions? I put a Thumper cam in my 351W and both he and I love it but I think that is too much for his stock application.
I appreciate any help
OK, here's my take on it. The current cruiser setup tells me that Pop doesn't care too much for acceleration and speed, but might like for the motor to have a little rump-rump to it. I see nothing wrong with installing the smallest Thumpr cam and kit. It will work best with gears and converter, but I'm thinkin' it would be fine for cruising with the current setup.
12-600-4 - Thumpr

For ignition, put 16 in at the crank and 20 in at the weights, all in at 36 degrees by 2,800 r's. This should allow you to bring the idle down and prevent stoplight creep or standin' on the brake pedal. Use a Crane adjustable vacuum advance can and limiter plate....
Crane Vacuum Advance Kits 99600-1 - SummitRacing.com
Crane Vacuum Timing Limiter Plates 99619-1 - SummitRacing.com

Pay attention to these tips and tricks to prevent roachin' the new cam and lifters....
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ips_and_tricks

Last edited by techinspector1; 11-20-2012 at 12:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
malc (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 12:49 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

I think this is one time.. I'd get a gift card to summit or jegs.. or ?
and let him buy the cam he wants..
Old 11-20-2012, 01:13 PM

Last photo:

Seems like a remember reading a magazine one time that said with a stock converter .480 lift is the max you should go. Dont know if thats true but the cam techinspector1 said I think would be a good choice but a gift card works to so he could choose.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:49 PM

Good points. On second thoughts, he does have an MSD ignition box sitting around without the distributor (he had one and sold it before he had a friend give him the ignition box). Maybe a new MSD distributor would be best? Choices, choices, choices......
Old 11-20-2012, 02:24 PM

Last photo:

Another Option

This will work well also,see specs: Howards Cams Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft and Lifter Kits CL112431-06 - SummitRacing.com
Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 PM

dont buy him a cam,everyone wants to be a guru and choose their own. Buy him something to get ridof the stock ignition. MSD6-AL is something to consider
Old 11-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Old & Furious

all thumpr cams are big cams they make that mean sounds for a reason and many make alot of power. Maybe more than an x frame chevy is going to be happy with. Seems the older these cars get the less the frame likes to twist. It lope and rumbles because it has large over lap. If he wants a nasty punch along with the cam ok but they are not tame. But if you want that sound it doesnt come from anything else that are lower rpm. Only real benenfit is they do not make the engine rev like the bigger cams. For a 283 this might be good and it might be bad depending on whats been done. Seems like not much. But i can bring it down to one question for you. Does it have ARP rod bolts? If not skip the thumpr and go with something a little easier on the engine. Thumpr in 283 will hit 6000- 6500 rpm. No problem on a 350 you may be all done alot sooner but the smaller 283 is going to scream with that cam in it.

I would avoid the dual pattern cams all together. And look at the gm muscle car cams. All have low lift high duration and good overlap without going crazy. And most will work in competely stock engine. Be aware that they all used four speeds. Autos always got the **** cam.

Also one question no one asked. What cam is in it now? Im sure its not the stock cam you would be hard pressed to buy the original cam with out going new old stock. Im asuming dad is involed. Buying a cam may require some numbers.

Well comp and edelbrock have info on there database about the stock cam and what cams have worked well in the past. Since its a 62 it might be better to call and make sure they dig up some info on what cams they used to sell to the 283 guys with stock engines.

Your stock cam may not be all that small. An RV cam or whatever someone calls it is usally crap and may even be smaller than what is currently installed in the car. Get the edelbrock performer its nice and calm and easy on the motor.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Old & Furious

Oh and what heads? Humps? What casting and valve size.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
I think this is one time.. I'd get a gift card to summit or jegs.. or ?
and let him buy the cam he wants..
The more I read this, the more it seems like the correct answer. He might want something else more than he'd want a lumpy cam.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:21 PM

Cam and lifter question

This would be a nice camshaft for your father's 57 Chevy. Comp Cams Nostalgia Plus N+300HP. Cam and lifter kit CL12-670-4 or the K-Kit K12-670-4 which consist of Cam, lifters, valve springs, retainers & locks, and timing chain. The specs: rpm range-1000-5500, .426/.420 lift, 211/218 duration, LSA 112 IC 108*
Old 11-21-2012, 07:23 AM

Thank you all so much for the advice. I really appreciate it. Ya'll are great.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Bye Jerks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
Buy him something to get rid of the stock ignition. MSD6-AL is something to consider
+1

Old 11-24-2012, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

I think you should go the route that someone else said and get him a gift card to jegs or summit.. Cam selection is one area where your dad can put his personal signature on the engine. Unfortunately one of the most common mistakes is to put in to much cam. The temptation to seek more power is a strong one, but if the airflow path through the engine isnt suited to higher capacities, increasing the valve lift and duration wont produce more torque or power, In fact its likely to reduce combustion efficiency, power output, and economy. It is actually better to be conservative when it comes to cam selection. In my opinion I would let your dad decide whats best for his engine as he probably know the true details of his engine. Hope everything works out good. Keep us posted on what you do and what cam you all get. Good luck and Happy shopping

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.