cam lock plate - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2004, 10:09 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

cam lock plate

I'm finally getting around to finishing my motor(283sbc), but I have a quick question. I am installing a summit cam and timing chain setup and i have the summit cam lock plate. Now my problem is where to instal the lock plate, I have heard of people placing it between the back of the timing gear and the face of the cam(the little tabs i guess would prevent the cam from moving into the block) and I have heard of people installing them on the face of the timing gear and bending the tabs to prevent the bolts from unscrewing?
what is the proper way to insatll thi lock plate?
Will i need any other cam button or what ever?, just a mild rebuild and want it to be reliable.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2004, 10:18 AM
paints everything flat black

Last journal entry: September 2005 - Current
Last photo:

The cam lock plate goes on the FRONT of the cam gear. It prevents the cam gear bolts from unscrewing. The only instance in which you need a cam button is if you have issues with the camshaft walking in the block... you also only want to use a cam button if you have a reinforced cam chain cover, or a reinforcement on the back of your water pump, so the cam button can press up against something sturdy.

That brings you to a point where I can't give any more advice because I don't know the specific methods for the following checks:

1. determination of camshaft end play

2. proper installation of cam thrust freeze bearing at rear of block

3. determination of the possible need for a camshaft thrust bearing / torrington bearing at the front of the block (in cases of excess block thrust face wear)

Hopefully some others can chime in and add some more info.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blndweasel
The cam lock plate goes on the FRONT of the cam gear. It prevents the cam gear bolts from unscrewing. The only instance in which you need a cam button is if you have issues with the camshaft walking in the block... you also only want to use a cam button if you have a reinforced cam chain cover, or a reinforcement on the back of your water pump, so the cam button can press up against something sturdy.

That brings you to a point where I can't give any more advice because I don't know the specific methods for the following checks:

1. determination of camshaft end play

2. proper installation of cam thrust freeze bearing at rear of block

3. determination of the possible need for a camshaft thrust bearing / torrington bearing at the front of the block (in cases of excess block thrust face wear)

Hopefully some others can chime in and add some more info.
Yes the lock plate goes in front. Check the end play by installing the core plug only after the end play is set. Use a dail indicator on the back of the cam through the core plug hole. I'd never use a thrust button without a needle thrust bearing behind the cam sprocket. You'll either have to machine the block or get a timing chain set that comes machine for a bearing, the thrust bearing will come with it. Usually you won't need a cam button unless you have a roller cam.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.