Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cam LSA question
View Single Post
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 PM
F-BIRD'88's Avatar
F-BIRD'88 F-BIRD'88 is offline
Yada Yada Yada
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,285
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 400 Times in 394 Posts
Originally Posted by tjet View Post
Will look into it. I'd like to stick with a single pattern cam if possible (single pattern has a more old school "rhythmic" sound unlike the dual pattern cams like my XE cam IMO) The streetmaster intake I have on my vette pulls harder than the Weiand 8004 I had on it, plus it has an oil fill tube which is a feature I need. Another intake option I may consider is an Edelbrock C-26 dual quad.

Trying to achive a 60's hotrod look & sound with this engine - it's going in my 59 Chev pickup
if you want the real sound of he 60's era you need a solid lifter cam in a wide 114LSA.
use Crane Cams cam #110941 It will have the right sound you want.

Get a dual plane off a old 327 and use a carter carb.
The edelbrock C3BX is right out of that era.
So is the Weiand 8016

The Street master is a 70's disco era intake manifold.

60's was solid lifter cams dual planes and dual quads.

You will need to recuve the distributor. bigger valve lash ='s more 60's era solid cam sound.
smaller valve lash ='s rougher idle.
do not go looser on the valve lash than +.006" looser
than the crane cam card spec. you can go up to .012" tighter on the lash.
the lash spec is .022" hot. so,,, you can vary that from .028" to .010" and get a different sound from the cam.
This will not harm the cam or your motor. but will adjust the idle sound to your liking.
adjust the valve lash once a year.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 11-12-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to F-BIRD'88 For This Useful Post:
tjet (11-12-2012)