Cam lube gray-graphite stuff vs. the red stuff. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2003, 07:11 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Cam lube gray-graphite stuff vs. the red stuff.

Oppinions:my Comp cam came with this "cherry sauce" lookin stuff as cam lube.Now all my other cams came with the normal grey-graphite stuff or silverish paste stuff.Its thick it ain't goin no were.This comp stuff is like thick tranny fluid.It drips,and is thin.After claying the pistons with a couple solid lifters I pull um back out and the lobe was half dry(not good).So I stick more "cherry sauce" on my chubby fingers and spread it on the lobe through the lifter bore.The thing that I'm thinkin is by the time I finish adjusting all the valves there will be no cam lube on the lobes.And no I wasn't being cheap with it when I spread it on (lol),so that ain't it!!

Any oppinions on the "cherry sauce" vs. the graphite stuff??Thing is I got a tube of Crane lube I just didn't use it,cause the cam is under warrantie and didn't wanna void it by using another brand lube.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2003, 10:17 AM

the pro lube from comp cam is very viscious. I bought a comp cam kit my self and was wondering about the same thing u were. so i called them and they said 5 days max u can leave it on before firing it up. the problem with the cam lube is its so viscious it drips off later rather then stick like a paste substance. if u are not going to firing up your engine in under 5 days use the paste stuff. no sense trying to keep on putting on the pro cam lube by compcam its a waste of time.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:56 PM

Last photo:

Well that sucks I ain't firing it for about a month.5days what kinda **** is that,are they trying to build buissness in the warrantie & exchange dept.
Ya know (I'll catch hell for saying this)but all this run it for 20min,fancy lube,dont do this,that and that,crap is pissing me off.
Every other time I installed a cam I soaked the lifters overnight,put the graphite crap on,poured oil over the cam and lifters,fired the motor with the rockers screwed down 5 threads,then adjusted them wile it idled.If I get a flat lobe doin it the way comp says I'm gonna take the ****er out of the motor and show up at the factory with it and throw it at the plant manager.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Don't you just love when a mfg supports you 100%...and sets you up for a fall with substandard time dependant lubrication!

There should be a law...
Old 01-19-2003, 05:19 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

DO NOT USE THAT *****!! I lost two comp cams using that crap. Probably because I did not get it started soon enough judging from your post. Since that I use different cams and if I have a comp I use different lubes. You can get the paste at ORielly Auto Parts if you need somewhere to drive to get it. If not Summit or Jegs. I would get the lunati paste if you call Summit or Jegs.

Chris
Old 01-19-2003, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

Well thanks for the info guys.What a bunch of crap,I knew as I was puttin it on it was garbage lube.I've had a bad feeling about going with Comp,the only reason I did,was the cam I wanted was a Schneider and it would be to hard to contact them plus pay extra S+H ordering from to many mail order places.The comp was the closest spec wise with just a hair less total dur.
Well the pan and timing cover are on all ready so I can clean & relube the lobes through the bores.And I'll just plaster the dist gear with the graphite stuff.But how am I gonna do the fuel pump lobe????
Old 01-19-2003, 09:32 AM

my only suggestion is for the fuel pump lobe. Assuming u have a chevy v-8 engine. Is to put the grey lube on the tip of fuel pump push rod and install the push rod and hold it up tight against the lobe and rotate the engine a little. take the fuel pump push rod out and put lube on it again and rotate the engine a little more again and repeat the process until u have lube the entire lobe for the fuel pump push rod.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

Yea thats prolly what I'll do.Tommarrows the 5th day so the lobe should be as dry as Arizona by tomarrow. So I'll shove a rag down each lifter bore turn it over,pull it out wet the rag in Brakleen shove it back in to clean the film put lube on a good(no bristles falling out)wide artists brush and do each.For the fuel pump lobe I'll just do as you said gob it on the end cycle it over and do it a few times,as far as cleaning the the lobe I dunno I just take my chances theres not that much pressure on the fuel pump rod.And evan if itr goes then its electric fuel pump time.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:59 PM

thats what so great about this bulletin u can ask many questions. also its always good to ask before u buy or install parts only to find out u could have done something better or catch a problem before it starts.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:39 PM

If you want to get totally "anal", use the grey lube, then smear STP over it and on the bottom of the lifters. The cam will live!

Paul
Old 01-19-2003, 09:31 PM

Hey Turbo . How could u tell your cam went bad? Cause u said u had 2 comp cams that went bad. . was is idling funny? or valve problems? i'm just curious cause i am wondering if my cam is still good.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

Shortblock,thats too funny!! LMAO
Old 01-20-2003, 03:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

[quote]Originally posted by abe:
<strong>Hey Turbo . How could u tell your cam went bad? Cause u said u had 2 comp cams that went bad. . was is idling funny? or valve problems? i'm just curious cause i am wondering if my cam is still good.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It will start with a lifter tapping. Readjust it, and 5 minutes later it is tapping again. At this point, you know.

Chris
Old 01-20-2003, 05:38 AM

Last photo:

I installed a new Comp cam and lifters last year. Not a new engine just the cam kit. I used the red stuff, although I did wonder why it seemed so runny. I also used some GM EOS during the cam breakin.

I don't remember how long it was before I fired the engine after the install. The engine was out and on a stand. Seems to me it could well have been after the "5 day" limit mentioned above.

Anyway, I had no problems at all and the engine ran great. The cam was relatively mild and I had single springs with dampeners on the heads.

The 331 I'm in the process of building is totally new. I'm running a custom spec cam that Comp ground. Again, not a radical cam. This time I've got AFR 185 heads with dual springs and dampeners. I'll be removing the inner spring and just run the outer with dampener during breakin.

Time between assembly and startup will for sure be more than 5 days.

I will again use the GM EOS, but will be using something other that the Comp red stuff.

I'm paranoid by nature.

Old 01-20-2003, 10:00 AM

Last photo:

I've used three comp cams and I've never had a problem. I've always used the red stuff. I think twice I fired it up within a day or two. The first time it definately sat quite a while; probably a month with the lube on the cam. I'm interested in knowing how much lube residue is required to protect the cam. I'd guess that it's not very much. The layer of oil that protects it normally is very thin; I'd expect a thin layer of assembly lube will also do the job.

With that said, I'll have no problem using the red stuff next time I'm replacing a cam and starting it right away. For projects where it's gonna sit for a while, I'll heed your advice and get a thicker lube.
dh

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.