Hot Rod Forum banner

cam problems

856 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  levi5790 
#1 ·
just traded for a truck and it has a slightly larger cam and it keeps shutting my truck down when i stop or shift gears i need help with a fix for this without taking the cam out also it is a sb 350 pretty stock other than a throttle body spacer headers and the cam thats about it would greatly appretiate the feed back also its auotmatic

#5 ·
If the TBI is still in use and it sounds like it is obviously someone didn`t take into account you can`t just stick a high performance cam in a throttle body computer controlled engine. The cam must be computer compatible and even then many other mods have to be done with it such as more fuel pressure, a custom computer chip, new fuel injectors and etc. If the cam used was not computer compatible the lower vacuum is greatly upsetting the map sensor which will also cause it to run like crap. TBI engines were set lean from the factory and the TBI, intake and heads are the worst flowing pieces in small block history, the stock TBI cam was pathetic and is so mild the lobes may as well be round. The cam we recommend to replace the stock cam is here:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1101/
And even so it`s very mild I still recommend a adjustable fuel pressure regulator plus new injectors if the stockers are still in use. This cam is about as large as you can go without upsetting the computer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.