Thread: Cam Question
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400smb_s10
Ok so I should swap out all the springs to 1.6? or just the intake and intake rockers?

I also ment to mention that the exhaust is 1 3/4" shorty headers into 3' exhaust no cats and glass packs

I want this engine to work well for me. maybe take it to the track on a saturday night but I mostly want it to have a little more ummph then stock. I would like it to be a nice cruizer motor but when i want to get up and scram I will be able to do so.
On most of the Dynosims I have run, the motor will pick up only single digit gains (less than 10 hp) with higher ratio rockers. Plus, there is more strain on the whole valvetrain with them. If you were racing in some competitive venue and needed to gain a headlight rim on your competitors, and had exhausted every other avenue of gaining a few hp, I might tend to recommend higher ratio rockers. But if this is in any way a street driver, leave the rocker ratio alone. That's my best advice.

Shorty headers will work better than stock cast iron manifolds, but will be short on power when compared to long-tube, tuned headers.

With 9.00:1 SCR, this motor will not be a world beater. It will make good power with a stock converter, but if you want to "get up and scram", you're building the wrong motor.