Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cam Question
Thread: Cam Question
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 12:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cam Question

Ive been pulling my hair out for a couple weeks now because of a SBC Ive put together from some parts I had laying around. Its a crate motor short block with a set of 2.02 stock heads. I cant get the thing to run and it is spitting up fuel from the carb. My instinct was a timing issue so I checked my dist. at TDC and I was dead on. Ive checked compression and all cylinders were at 150. When I was turning the motor over by hand I noticed I could hear a pretty big hissing sound coming from the intake. I was convinced I had leaking intake valves and that was the culprit for her spitting up so I pulled the heads and tested them. There was no leaks at all!! After scratching my head some more I turned the motor over with the heads off and noticed that my intake lifter was not down all the way before the piston was on its way up. As a matter of fact it is coming up about an inch before the lifter is fully seated. My question is "Is this normal?" I know different cams have different lift and durration but shouldnt the intake valve be fully seated before the compression stroke starts? I appreciate any insight you guys might have on this.

Thanks,
Andre