Cam recommended for my blown 327 SBC... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 07:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cam recommended for my blown 327 SBC...

I have recently ordered a new Wieand 142 supercharger for my 1968 327 Chevy that is in my custom 1949 Chevy pickup.
I already have been running a newly rebuilt 327 with steel crank, Hyper flat top pistons 9:2-1 comp, Scat H rods, Edel Performer RPM heads, MSD ignition, and am taking off the Edel performer intake and 600 Edel carb, and Comp cam Extreme series #CCA-12-238-2 (Summit#) Duration 262/270, Lift 462/469 to run the blower.
Now I am driving this pickup back and forth to work a lot and around town and I love the Low and Mid torque power. So the tech at Wieand set me up with a supercharger Holley 750 special carb (these mini-blowers run one carb) and now I need a cam?
Has anybody had any SBC's with a blower that could recommend a cam that would give me a great mid and low but really gives me big power with my set-up???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 07:25 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

no cam will give you great low and high end power- there's a compromise. Figure out what kind of compromise you can deal with and that will help decide what cam you would like.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Everything is HAMMER!

Last photo:

Anyway you go with your cam make sure that it's a roller. Flat tappet cams are quickly becoming old news,and old scrap(swiping lobes). Just remember the higher lift on a flat tappet cam the sooner it will wear out, and nobody likes that.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

There's not a lot of compromise with a blower on the bottom end, even a 142, you'll have that bottom end torque.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 01-21-2009, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

i was running a comp nx268h on mine pulled great from idle to just above 6000
Old 01-21-2009, 08:02 PM

Blower cam for 327

I'm sorry I thought I made that statement in my article that I want great Low and Mid range torque. This is definitely not a upstairs pickup. Maybe that will help as I'm just curious to see the suggestions as everybody's are different. I would really like to talk to somebody who has a similar set-up that way I know it's not just BS.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:33 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Well, in general, you'll want a dual pattern on a wider LSA, and you don't need to install it with as much advance. The duration is going to give you your power range. Anything over 230 will be mostly upstairs, anything below 210 will be mostly down low. Here's a nitrous grind from summit, http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4&autoview=sku

It'd work pretty well, not saying its the best, but it gives you an idea of what you're looking at. That is if you use hyd. flat tappet, which I'm assuming you are.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

If you can afford a retro roller, do it. I'm running a Lunati 282/290, 112 lsa that's a killer off idle all the way up. That blower is going to give you increased bottom end, trust me.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 01-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The camshaft you have now, will work well. Degree it in and move it to a "straight up" position. 110-110 centerlines. Your new .050" timing will be

Intake exhaust.
-1 39 42 2
Old 01-22-2009, 07:46 AM

Last photo:

could use the cam that you have. However, can't run much boost with that cr. maybe 5 or 6 psi with a bunch of timing retard (maybe 20 degrees total advance while on boost with 93 octane). Do you have a msd boost timing retard??

if you would install a bigger cam, 270 intake with 280 exhaust ground on 114 lsa, then you could run a few more psi of boost and a few more degrees of timing.

9.2:1 is high cr for a boosted 1st gen sbc with a little cam.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 PM

cam for my 327 and Wieand blower...

You guys are great and very knowledgeable! Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean on the advance retard for sure but it is a new all billet MSD set up. I am aware of the compression thing but I just would hate to pull it all down and replace pistons etc. It was hard enough to find a set of Hyper KB pistons for a 327 anyway. I guess I'm just too obsolete?

I would like to just run about 5 psi boost with what I have now and see what happens I think and if I want more I can do the cam and if that still don't I can do a change of some type pistons. It's .030 pistons now and we filled them for NOS that I don't have but that is the same thing they do for superchargers too.

This is my question: Is there a device or anything that I can use or install that will tell me how my engine is doing and if it is detonating any at all? I know the plug reading thing and the ping or knock but I'm afraid I wouldn't hear that so I wonder if there is some cool electronic thing that will do some king of analysis or readout of whats going on with my fuel and air, heat, detonation that anybody knows about?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Your own ears are your best detonation/knock sensing device.
You can build your own engine "ears" that will allow you to listen for engine knock while driving/tuning in your combo. So you can get off the throttle before damaging the engine.
http://autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0353

www.snowperformance.net http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/
Old 01-22-2009, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

you could possibly install a knock sensor... I'm not sure if there is a way to set it up to work right, you will have to research a little... but GTech may have your answer. I've been considering buying one, but I haven't heard too much about them in the hotrod community. If anyone has any experience with them in our older rides let me know, all I've seen them in is new muscle (Mustangs, Camaros, and Chargers) and rice.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 PM

scares me a bit

your combo did i hear ya mention hiperkenkic pistons ? hope not with a blower - ya will picken ringlands out of oil pan next - as far a cam stay mild for that bottom end - lower compression and use blower boost for mid and top and it will live , also run a GOOD ignation box hook it up to a pressure sensor to retard on boost simular to the nos stuff - want MORE later add nos
Old 01-22-2009, 10:51 PM
NAVY VETERAN

Last photo:

ive had friend use a comp cams blower cam for smaller displacement motors
here it is here
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4&autoview=sku

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.