Hot Rod Forum banner

cam selection

5K views 37 replies 6 participants last post by  prostcelica 
#1 ·
I finally decided on a set of heads and ordered them today. I went with a set of E-Streets that I am going to port(after an exstensive amount of research) now it is time for cam selection. I would appreciate anyone who wants to chime in. I know I want to put a roller in it just not sure between solid/hydraulic. It will be a street car that I occasionally take to the track. Please see my combo below and pass on your recomends.

sbc 355 stock internals 6000rpm max Maybe 6500 if im feeling lucky:D
Flat tops 4 valve reliefs
10.3:1 compression
Edledbrock E-Street heads (ported)
RPM Air gap intake
Holley 670 street avenger
4 speed manual
ford 9" 355 gears (probably go to a taller gear)
Car weighs 2500#'s

I am a little worried about VTP clearance. I have a Magnum 270 cam I will use to mock up and check the clearance so I have an idea where Im at before I spend the $$$ on a roller

#29 ·
Thank you very much F bird that is great info. Solid roller it is. In your opinion do I need to be concerned about PTV clearance with the comp XE274 solid roller?? Id post the link for the cam but I'm on my phone. Sorry bout that. I will chech clearances regardless but I thought I remember you saying in a previous post you didn't think I'd have an issue. Cam specs are INT - 236@.50 .55 lift and EX - 247@50 .57 lift. I am going of memory on the specs but should be close. I'd also like to run 1.6 rockers.......what do you think??

#33 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong but if I buy a bigger cam that means more duration. I'm only 10.3:1. The XE274 is 236 @ .5. Which is right about where I want to be for my compression ratio isnt it??. By going to a 1.6 rockere you get a little more lift at the sane duration.

#35 ·
#37 ·
Cam Selection

You said this is a street car so I agree with you. Go with the XR274R solid roller. If you want to go up a step you could go with the XR280R. It requires 10.1 compression, 3000 torque converter, and 3.90 gears. Check out these kits. COMP Cams: Magnum, 280AR: Cam & Kit and this : COMP Cams: Xtreme Energy™, XR274R: Cam & Kit. One more thing, when selecting a camshaft you can go up or down a 1/2 point on compression ratio without causing any problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.