Cam selection on 347 stroker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 02:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cam selection on 347 stroker

Just picked up a 347 stroker shortblock with Mahle flat top pistons, eagle rods and scat crank. I have a brand new set of Edelbrock Victor jr. aluminum heads I plan to install. This motor will be going in my 65 Mustang show car as I would like to upgrade the 289 for something a little more fun. I need to select a cam for this engine but am unsure what would suit it best. The car has a Toploader 4 speed manual tranny and 3.00 rear end gears. I want to keep this car streetable as I drive it every weekend to a show in the summer and occasionally see interstate travel of 70 mph. The car will never be pushed past 6500 rpms. I also would like to ensure adequate valve to piston clearance. Suggestions?????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 05:27 PM

use a short duration hydraulic roller.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:23 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Just choose one of Ford Racing's 'letter' roller camshafts. Reasonably priced, decent performance and easily available. Match with a set of roller rockers and you will have all the camshaft you will ever need for a street driver. I'm using the 'E' now - very nice, with good in town manners :

http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...shaftSpecs.pdf
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 AM

Thanks I have actually looked at a couple of those Ford Racing cams. Would one be better suited towards my build? Also what lifters are recommended with them?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrush View Post
Thanks I have actually looked at a couple of those Ford Racing cams. Would one be better suited towards my build? Also what lifters are recommended with them?
With the 3.00 gears and the 4spd (I assume)top loader, I would probably stay with the 'E' camshaft and use the stock Ford roller lifters. Now, if this is not a roller block, then you get into aftermarket roller lifters and then might want to consider Comp Cams. Yes, there are literally dozens of cam grinders out in the market place, but those key words you are using - 'streetable' and 'interstate driving' make for, IMO, fewer choices as every one of the smaller companies seem to want to sell you a race geared cam. If, for instance, you have a flat tappet engine, then an Edelbrock Performer RPM is always a pretty good choice, especially when paired up with the Performer RPM intake.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,162 Times in 958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrush View Post
I also would like to ensure adequate valve to piston clearance. Suggestions?????
Only way to insure clearance is to measure clearance in your mock-up pre-assembly build. Each motor is a stand-alone set of circumstances and nobody can tell you, out of thin air, that you will or will not have piston to valve interference. Some of the variables are:
Block deck height
Piston deck height
Piston compression height
Piston crown configuration
Camshaft lobe profile (most often, interference occurs at the exhaust valve during the last few degrees of overlap period when the piston is coming up the bore and chasing the exhaust valve back onto its seat).
ACTUAL rocker arm ratio
Diameter of valves
Distance from valve seat to deck of head

I would also bring "squish" to your attention. This is the piston deck height added to the head gasket thickness and determines the effectiveness of the parts to effect a squishing or jetting of the air fuel mixture out from between the piston crown and the underside of the cylinder head. This turbulence helps to homogenize the mixture and eliminate rich and lean pockets in the chamber just as the spark plug fires. The motor will like a good tight squish which is just short of a piston/head collision with everything at operating temperature and max rpm's.

Last edited by techinspector1; 10-16-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.