cam selection - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2002, 07:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post cam selection

Im my camaro, ive got the small block chevy 400ci engine. I've been playing around with the timing of the cam to see if I can get some more power out of it. I had the cam retarded 4 deg and I seemed to have more torque with a little less top end. I wanted to get more top end power so I tried advancing it 4 deg from 0. I ended up loosing alot of the power all around. So, seeing im gonna be tearing it apart again, I was just thinking of putting a new cam in it to get more power. I don't know what it has for a cam right now, but I know there is room for improvement. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for what cam I should use. I drive the car alot and I race it alot too, so I want the tire burning torque with the head pinning horse power. If anyone has one of those dyno programs, here is my set up. Im running a hydrolic flat tappet cam, 4.125 bore, 3.75 stroke, 2.02 intake 1.60 ex valves, 64cc chambers, 9.5 to 1 compression, performer intake(edelbrock), large tube headers, 40 series flowmasters, 750cfm edelbrock carb, msd ignition. Im running a 4-speed munci m-21 tranny with 3.73 gears in the rear, and the car weighs about 3,400 lbs. Im looking to get about anywhere from 400 to 420 hp with very streetable torque. Ive been looking at the edelbrock cam packages. Would one of their cams work well with my intake? Any suggestions will help, thanx.

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: chevyelc81 ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2002, 03:38 PM

i would recommend a Comp Cams Xtreme Energy cam. with .487/.490" lift and has a powerband form 1800-6000 rpm. it gives good torque and revs high while still being very streetable for a big cam.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:31 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

I THINK YOU COULD GO UP TO .510 W/O ANY TROUBLE ON THE STREET. I ALSO THINK YOU HAVE MORE COMPRESSION THAN 9.5 CAUSE FLAT TOPS W/76CC CHAMBERS WORK OUT TO 9.2. I HAD A CAR FROM A DRAG RACER WHO SWORE HE USED SUMMIT CAMS AND IT HAULED! BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT HE REALLY PUT IN THERE BUT WHY LIE AND SAY THAT? I WOULD CHECK SPRING CLEARANCE SPECS BEFORE I WENT TO .510 THO CAUSE YOU SHOULD GET NEW SPRINGS IF YOU GO THERE. AND IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU SHOULD PUT THE CAM IN STRAIGHT UP BECAUSE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO RETARD IT FOR HP AND ADVANCE IT TO LOWER YOUR POWERBAND. WHEN IN DOUBT, DO WHAT THE DIRECTIONS SAY:LINE UP THE DOTS AT ZERO DEGREES. SOME GUYS ARE QUESTIONING COMPS QUALITY CONTROL .. I DONT KNOW I NEVER USED ONE. MY LAST ENGINE HAD AN ISKENDARIAN AND IT WAS FINE TILL I TOOK OUT THE ENGINE
Old 09-16-2002, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

yea, i think i might have a little more compression now that I think about it. The engine came out of a 1977 C20 4wd pickup truck, I believe that the engine had compression in the high 8's maybe 9 to one, that was with the stock heads though with 76cc chambers. I believe going from 76 to 64cc chambers, it brings your compression up about one whole point, give or take a little. So I probably have around 10 to 1 compression. That explains why I have to use high octane plus octane booster to keep the rings from pinging. I just might go with that comp Xtream energy cam, I was wondering if the edelbrock performer RPM cam would also go good, My heads are all set up with good springs and screw in studs, so it will handle the .510 lift, but will it perform well with just the performer intake?
Old 09-16-2002, 06:31 PM

Go to the ISKY site, load their cams page and do some comparisons. There is just something about Iskys.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Cam recommendation is always varied from one guy to the other. One person wants to get to the grocery store first, the other wants to get there easy. Your 400, with it's 3.75 inch stroke likes a tight lobe separation angle, 108 to 110 degrees, also .500 to .520 valve lift won't hurt anything, most 400s are way undervalved, so more lift does help. Hydraulic lifters would be the way to go here, no need for 7000 RPM with a 400. Comps 292 Magnum looks and cooks really good, so does the Isky 292 Mega-Hydraulic. As well as a zillion other grinds that would work great, most cam grinders have this type of cam available, Lunati's bracket master series, Crane, Chet Herbert, and on and on and on. I like the Comp stuff myself.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I do have a brand new Comp XE 284H-10 hydraulic that I would sell. It's , if memory serves me correctly. 284 deg adv intake duration, and 294 deg exhaust, it has 110 deg lobe sep, and .505 Intake lift and .520 exhaust lift, I don't have the box, but this dude hasn't seen anything but some assembly lube, and then I changed my mind and took it out. I'd sell it For 60.00
Old 09-16-2002, 10:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If advancing your cam had little top end effect it is because your intake or exhaust is limiting it. Your exhaust sounds good but you need an open plane manifold to use more power up top and use a next size larger cam anyway. I would say get an open plane manifold and try it again...you might be pleasantly surprised. The low end loss will still be there but on top should be a healthy gain with less restriction to flow. Get one with an exhaust crossover for better cold weather driveability. Your pushing what that Performer intake can flow.

Get the intake and then buy Nairb's cam. it's a good grind for 1Hp/ci engines.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

my only comment is on your cam timing. You stated that you retarded the cam and picked up low end / lost top end. Then advanced it and lost power all over. Sounds backwards, did we read that right?
Old 09-17-2002, 07:41 AM

Last photo:

On the timing gear on the crank, it has 3 notches. I put it on the -4 deg notch and got more torque, on the +4deg notch, I lost alot of power all around. I just figured - is retarded and + is advanced. Thanx for all the info, ill figure something out.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.