Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cam selection... 383 chevy, vortechs, heavy car...streetable but fun. 400hp-ish
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:18 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Edelbrock makes a recreatable package that does what it claims. There are too many poeple tring to be different when it comes to cam selection. The cam and intake are a match. How many diffrent intake types are there? The rest is bean counters looking for a extra few hp.

A roller is only going to be 15-25 hp higher than a flat hydraulic, in the range of a driven car. I have a roller in my 440 4spd and the diffrence was NOT amazing. For the money to retrofit I was robbed. A supercharger would have actually got the job done with a big smile. A roller cam conversion was more than half that cost.

The suggested Howards cam even states 2600+ stall. The plus indicates more than. Stock modern heavy vehicles are stalling around 2800.
Their packages do deliver what is promised but the cams are NOT tailored to their intakes, heads, or anything else- its simply the cheapest cam they can get that is "close enough" and then they rebox it. Its been like that for decades. If you're going to buy a cam spend the 10 or 20 dollars difference and get one that really does match your combo.

And I agree the Howards cam is a bit on the big side, but he wanted the rough idle. A well tuned 383 combo like his though will have no problem with a stock converter- not optimal but you have to sacrifice something to get that sound.