Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cam selection... 383 chevy, vortechs, heavy car...streetable but fun. 400hp-ish
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
Edelbrock cams are just reboxed crap- always have been.

And the Howard's cam is a roller.
Not sure how you can say that edelbrock is the one company out there that really stands behind there product. They sell the highest quaility hop up parts on the market. Yes they focus on middle of the road performance. But that hardly means its junk. Really means its what this car needs.

With this car i would go for 300-350 ft tq. Hp is not going to matter much and may even slow the car down if the cam is to peaky. I got my 4000 pound 71 gp from a guy that had tried 10 cams and finally went with a smaller pmd cam factory cam. That made the car run the fastest at the track. The op can save himself the issues of replacing several cams to find something that works he could just get the performer or the torker. Edelbrock provides thecombos that work for little money and big results that act as expected.

The 59 wagon has to be every bit of 5000 lbs. Does it have an X frame? Might want to be easy on it with older frame. 400hp and the tq that comes with it is a lot of pressure to put on the old style frame. It will be fine with street tires and normal fun run type of driving. Some slicks and some abuse at the race track could lead to some major issues. Best to let it spin if you get a lot more power than stock. Especially if it has stock suspension and brakes.