cam selection - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 09:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

cam selection

Ok so i got the car pretty much done. but i want more cam. so i was wondering if anybody out there could run my motor specs on their desktop dyno and let me know what cam makes the most power. And i am running a hydraulic cam right now, would it be worth it to change to a solid lift cam? what are the benefits drawbacks of solid?

So my motor is a 455 standard bore, 6x heads 2.11/1.66 valves, 9.2- 9.5:1 compression, cam is 224/236 @ .050 .406 lift, edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock 800 cfm AVS card, hooker headers 1 5/8 primary 3" collectors.

I was thinking about going with a hydraulic 230/240 @ .050 .469 lift
or hydraulic 245/255 @ .050 .510/.530 lift
or solid 243/251 @ .050 .518/.530 lift
a body of mine was running the same heads on a 455 with almost the same solid cam in a trans am and did 12.3, but other people tell me the cams are to big... i dont know? please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2006, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

Cam Selections

You didnt mention what kind of transmission youre running, what stall speed convertor, and rear gears.
If you are running stock drivetrain, the 224/236 cam is probably about as big as you want to go on a mild street engine. You also failed to mention what kind of head work has been done. You dont want to go too big in cam, as with your current compression, you wont be able to utilize a much larger unit. The compression just wont be there for the upper end rpm. As it is you have a good strong, 6000 RPM engine. About the only think I would do is go down to a 750 CFM carb, as for 99% of your driving, the 800 is bigger than you really need. You would find your engine has better driveability and lower end response with the smaller carb, and it will still readily feed your engine out to 6000 plus RPM. At any rate, I would recommend running a vacuum secondary carb. Believe it or not, to stomp open a 750 or 800 CFM carb on your engine with mechanical secondaries, from idle or just above idle, would be over carbureting your engine til you get up to around 3500 to 4000 RPM.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

Check out this site: http://www.pontiacstreetperformance....harticles.html

Look down at the bottom for tech articles by Jim Hand. He has a good discussion about street machine cams, but have your earmuffs handy because the music can be distracting.

Elsewhere on the pontiacstreetperformace site is a section called Torque Power, with descriptions & real-world results for several Pontiac engine buildups.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:44 AM

the car is a 1974 gto, the heads are stock the block is stock, it has trw forged pistons std bore. i have a 4 speed standard trans and a 3.73 posi.
the solid cam that i mentioned is a lunati cam and the description said it is for daily driven cars 9.5:1 comp, 4 speed or 3000 stall, and headers. which basicly describes my car, so i was thnking about goin with that one, but i wanted someone to dyno it and let me know what kind of power it would make. and im thinking about haveing the heads ported
Old 03-21-2006, 12:49 PM

I'll get the website for you. Go with an Ultradyne hydraulic, they are available through Bullet Cams now, and can be ordered through Gregg Merrick. As far as the gears back off to 3.55's as 3.73's are alittle too steep for a 455. What 6X heads do you have? 4's,6's or 8's? The cam you have now sounds like the 744 RAIII. This would be a good cam to use as you can increase the lift by having the pushrod holes in the heads elonagated and use 1.65's to get a gross lift of .447. This cam will make good power right on up to 5500-5700. If you go with a RAIV style cam or what you mentioned above use Rhoads lifters to restore the bottom end that these cams lack. if going with a solid use Crower lifters as they are the only ones I know of that has a true solid for a Pontiac, all the others such as Comp and Crane use the shorter Chevy style lifter which is not correct for a Pontiac application. As far as carb go with a q-jet from Cliff Ruggles (I'll get his website for you also). Get the heads ported to flow around 235-245 on the intake and use ARP rocker studs for a BB Chevy and go with a set of roller rockers and an adjustable valve train. The 455 is a torque engine and with your present cam this would be one stout perfomer as is, and the 455 with stock bottom end is limited to 5500rpm as the stock rods won't take much more than that, neither will the stock rod bolts, stock rod bolts are limited to around 5000. I'll get the website for you for Gregg Merrick and post it but as I said your present cam will work with what you presently have.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:04 PM

The website for Gregg Merrick is www.pontiacengines.net. Contact him for an Ultradyne for your application.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.