Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cam Selection on Blown BBC
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Cam Selection on Blown BBC

I need your guys' advise on this one. I'm building a 62 Pro Street Nova. The motor is going to be a Blown BBC. I have the blower (Dyers 6-71), 4340 eagle crank, H-Beam Rods, speedpro blower pistons (7.5 comp w/ 119cc heads), speedpro rings. I don't have the heads yet, but I'm looking at a few different sets, all have 2.25/1.88 valves, and 119cc chanbers. I'm looking for a cam that would be streetable, but have a VERY NASTY idle. I got a custom cam grind spec of 267I/272E @.050, .683I/636E lift, and a lobe sep of 110* quoted from a place called LAZER CAMS. My problem with this is, I've heard a blower needs a lot of lobe sep., typically 114* or higher. The guy said having a lower lobe sep. would give my idle that nasty rumble I want and give me an rpm range of 2500 to 6000. Is this true?, and would this cause any early damage to my motor that a cam with a bigger lobe sep. wouldn't? This is my first blower motor, and I don't know anyone with one, just don't want to make any stupid "rookie" mistakes. Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post. Oh yeah, I have a set of 2 850 dbl. pumpers for the carbs.