CAM Selection holding my build up (help) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 344
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CAM Selection holding my build up (help)

I am putting together a 350 bored .40 overbore. I have everything except.. you know what. I have a 69 C/10, approx. 4000lb, th350 (which may soon be 700r), vortec heads, performer intake, quadrajet carb. I talked with a summit tech guy and he recommended an 1104 cam (224@.50 with 465 lift). This is a straight pattern cam that comes on at about 2200-5200. If ai am running a performer intake which is from idle to-- then why would I start with a cam that comes in at 2200rpm. He says it's an old GM 350/350 cam that will pull hard (which I can see), but my question is what happens up to 2200? what's going on there. Do I have a dog up to that point. I know this sounds silly, but just trying to get the right cam the first time around. Don't have time/money to go back in.

Also, I had my heads done (stock rebuild).. and I was adimant about all the stuff I read about Vortecs not being able to handle lift over .450. I kept asking him.. and when I picked my heads up, he took me to the bench, took one spring apart, measured the distance from the bottom of the retainer to the top of the seal (guide) and he said I had clearance for a 1/2" lift there which equates to .500. Even though I know I will not use a .500 lift cam, I just wanted to know I'd be good at say .460-470. He tells me to quit reading and talking to so many people. Is there anything still here I need to know.. or is this the norm. He's guaranteeing I will not have any issues with the cam.

Another thing is I did not switch springs. He mentioned the springs are a little stiffer because they were designed to work with a roller cam. Can these be used with a flat tappet grind without issues. He says yes? Anyway, I need to be gettin a cam this week and getting on with this build. I also contemplated going the retro roller route, but I've had guys tell me why bother.. because I am already doing all the necessary upgrades in my build that the extra power of a roller would give me.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 344
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply and I can't agree more.. he is LAZY.. and only cares about being paid. He does not have the time or patience to explain things.. nor does he want to hear. Much like body shop guys that only want to do insurance work now because they get paid faster.. and it takes a 1/4 of the time to do the work of restoration work nowadays.

If I am hearing you right.. I cannot use these stiffer springs on a flat tappet cam. Also, can you please clarify this "use a 1.6-1.5 ratio rocker set for net .471intake .465exhaust valve lift with the getto grind and drop on hi perf springs - the inner damper". Which one do I use. I have stock stamped steel rockers now. I need to find someone that can do the work for me. Isn't the beehive springs an option without cutting anything. This is a good shop (but high volume) and they don't have time to deal with someone like me. I know I have frustrated him.. but guess what, in the end, I was right. This was one reason why I had not ordered a cam because I didn't feel confident with his answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:35 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 60
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 598 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos9
and only cares about being paid. *SNIP* Much like body shop guys that only want to do insurance work now because they get paid faster.. and it takes a 1/4 of the time to do the work of restoration work nowadays.
So, I suppose because you have the handle "Carlos", you are Mexican or Hispanic. Therefore you are a thief and carry a dull switchblade and run w/a gang.

Oh, that's not true? You say I painted you w/too broad of a brush?

Think about what you say BEFORE you print it here. Most body men are hard working, honest individuals who are talented beyond any prowess YOU possess.

And no, I am not a body man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 344
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your advice is good.. and to be honest, I look forward to your replies because it seems like you know what's going on, but let me say some of us.. or most of us are not as smart as you in this regard. I said this to say stop being an *** dude. There are all SORTS of these hand-holding type questions out there posted daily. I see them and I still try and help without offending anyone. The internet IS free and the information on this forum should be also.. and not deemed as babysitting someone. I said more than I cared to say about that. I don't want to run staggered rockers.. that's not a good build to me. It's a cheap way of doing what you should have done right IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 344
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me say this.. and I thought about it.. There is WAYYYY too much
estrogen on this board. Guys get bent out of shape for nothin. All I'm trying to do is get some answers. The body shop comment was not a shot at body people. I was simply trying to "state a fact" that most body shops don't have time to do restorations anymore because they are time consuming and the money is generally slow. I have dealt with enough body guys and restored enough cars to know that. That's all I was getting at. Bunch of sissies. Help me for crying out loud.. don't start taking my words apart. I cannot believe you read my post.. and that was a response to help? My god!

I have been suspended on this post for speaking my mind when others have taken shots at me. Here's my take. If when you look at someones post and you cannot help.. then don't comment. Leave that to the folks that honestly want to help, not start cat fights without helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2009, 11:10 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 60
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 598 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos9
I was simply trying to "state a fact" that most body shops don't have time to do restorations anymore because they are time consuming and the money is generally slow.
Then that's what you should have said, if you felt you had to say anything in that regard in the first place. Remember, you said you were here to "get some answers".

Quote:
I have been suspended on this post...
Now, why does that not surprise me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2009, 11:59 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 344
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Then that's what you should have said, if you felt you had to say anything in that regard in the first place. Remember, you said you were here to "get some answers".

Now, why does that not surprise me.
Yeah for defending myself against racist pigs like you! My name is Carlos and I am not mexican. Now see, this is how I will get in trouble for responding to idiots like you. You started this not me by stereotyping a name with a race.

Look for post where you can respond to and help people. I have no issues with you.. leave me alone. Go F.. your wife, dog or jerk off or something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2009, 12:58 AM
ericnova72's Avatar
More for Less Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: S.W. Lower Michigan
Age: 48
Posts: 10,130
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 66
Thanked 683 Times in 608 Posts
Carlos, just so you know, lots of racers run staggered ratios when it poses an advantage to their combo, It's not a "poor" or "incorrect" way of doing things, often it is the better way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2009, 03:32 AM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 13,448
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 878
Thanked 1,216 Times in 997 Posts
Funny stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: york pa
Age: 52
Posts: 2,795
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
cam

tech, I'll get the pop corn you bring the Pepsi....


Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 344
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
Well I am a bodyman and what you say is for the most part true. We like the $$gravy collision/insurance work$$$.
Don;t know where/how the Hispanic stuff got in to this thread but could we pass on that stuff here?
What frustrates me is your inability to put simple conclusions together. Like what net valve lift you get with different rocker arm ratios.
1103 summit Camshaft is .442" in .465" ex w 1.5 rocker. If you add 8 1.6 rockers just to the intake side only the new valve lift is .471"in .465"ex.
Near hyd roller cam performance at bargain basement prices.

Piston pin height is 1.54" instead of 1.56" = piston will be .020" further down the bore at TDC... affects compression ratio and net quench clearance.

I did know this and I know guys that do this on street cars. The reason I say a cheap way of doing something right is because the guys that do it are poor.. like me. Anyway, I do understand this, but what 'sort' of confused me was the intake lift going up that much.. and ususally you see the intake side being less than the ex. and in a sense it still is, you are just holding the valve open longer with 1.6 rocker. Do they make stamped steel 1.6 rockers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2009, 01:17 PM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 13,448
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 878
Thanked 1,216 Times in 997 Posts
"you are just holding the valve open longer with 1.6 rocker"

Wrong again. The length of time the valve is open is called duration and is dependent on the opening and closing points that are ground into the camshaft lobe at the time of manufacture. The rocker arm ratio only determines how far the valve is lifted off its seat.

Yes, 1.6 stamped steel rockers are available. Here's a set of 8 Manley long slot steel rockers....
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2009, 01:18 PM
ericnova72's Avatar
More for Less Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: S.W. Lower Michigan
Age: 48
Posts: 10,130
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 66
Thanked 683 Times in 608 Posts
Yes, you can buy stamped 1.6 ratio, everybody sells them. By the way, Nascar runs staggered ratios. Top Fuel/Funny Cars run staggered ratios. Do you think these teams are poor? These are just two extreme examples.

Don't fall into the "monkey see, monkey do" trap concerning the camshaft exhaust side #'s being bigger than the intake side. This situation came about as a crutch for the crappy GM heads of the Seventies and the poor exhaust systems that went with them, and has become so ingrained with the hotrod public that it won't go away. If everybody did things the way the guy before them did, nobody would ever learn anything new, there would be no progress. Racers know this, and are always looking for progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2009, 01:26 PM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 13,448
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 878
Thanked 1,216 Times in 997 Posts
For an interesting take on staggered ratios, read Tech Tip 2003 written by Iskenderian.....
http://www.iskycams.com/techtips.php#2003
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 344
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
Well I am a bodyman and what you say is for the most part true. We like the $$gravy collision/insurance work$$$.
Don;t know where/how the Hispanic stuff got in to this thread but could we pass on that stuff here?
What frustrates me is your inability to put simple conclusions together. Like what net valve lift you get with different rocker arm ratios.
1103 summit Camshaft is .442" in .465" ex w 1.5 rocker. If you add 8 1.6 rockers just to the intake side only the new valve lift is .471"in .465"ex.
Near hyd roller cam performance at bargain basement prices.

Piston pin height is 1.54" instead of 1.56" = piston will be .020" further down the bore at TDC... affects compression ratio and net quench clearance.
I found a machine shop who knows what's going on and the grinding of the guides is turning out to be sort of a free-bee being that I took the heads in only to have better springs put in. The springs only had 60lbs. They would have worked with stock cams.. but why risk it. He said they were small springs that would have cost me $$ in the lon run. Anyway, he's grinding the guide down and the base so that the new springs will fit (isky springs I had laying around). So this is working out for me being that I did not have to buy new springs.. and he's not charging me much to do the work. I could have gone with a different spring where I didn't have to machine the heads, but as I mentioned the guide work is sort of a free.. so I'm getting the additional clearance I need should I decide I need more in the future.

Also, as bad as I want to go roller (retro, I can get set-up for approx. $500), a few say it's not worth the money at the lift level I'm operating at. I am looking for good drivability the rollers give and I hear they provide a slight boost in mpg.

I also looked into 2 Isky cams today.. mainly because the guy I get my cms from.. I think are bad cores are something. I had 2 go flat. My dad uses nothing but Isky and has never had a problem. The cams they recommended were a 270 (.465" lift, durations @.50 221) and the other a 264 (.450" lift, duration @ .50 214). I noticed these were single pattern cams and the tech advised that single patterns generally provide more torque the dual pattern cams. I told him I was runnign vortec heads.. and that I 'thought' they needed help on the exhaust side and they did not seem to think so.

Should I look at one of these cams, or stay with the summit 1103 cam with 1.6 rockers as recommended. Is the $500 worth it from a drivability standpoint. Bare with me '88... almost there. It was a big relief to get the head issue squared away today. The machinist I talked to today (builder as well RACER too) was in favor of the roller if I could afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine Build spec, how do you get yours Jsup Engine 13 12-21-2008 06:44 PM
Cam selection steveyb4342 Engine 3 05-23-2007 06:07 AM
350 build upgrade cam suggesstions. azbandit Engine 2 02-07-2005 07:23 PM
Ford 400 Cam Selection Chevy21 Engine 13 12-20-2004 06:09 PM
327 cam selection cragars Engine 1 07-07-2004 10:03 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.