Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Which cam for supercharged 440 on the street?
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieson
"I would ask for it to be custom ground on a 114 LSA to better accommodate the supercharger."
Just so you know, Blower Drive Service, the fellows who have been doing blowers for several decades, recommend 110 LSA on gasoline. They recommend the wider LSA's for use with alcohol. Here's a direct quote....

"The lobe center of the cam will play an important role in determining the performance characteristics of an engine. Wide lobe centers (112 to 114 degrees etc.) will create higher cylinder pressure providing more horsepower with cooler burning fuel such as alcohol and methanol. We have found 110 lobe centers to produce the best overall power on gasoline.
Whatever cam you choose, make sure that it will operate and perform properly in the RPM range required for your application."

I suspect that some time ago, some wise old fellow told another fellow that he should run 114 on alcohol. I further suspect that the word got around that you should use 114 with a blower and that the alcohol part of it was forgotten.

It's like we used to do at a party. You line up 10 people. You tell a simple sentence to the first person and have him whisper it to the second person, who will whisper it to the third person, who will whisper it to the fourth person. By the time the sentence gets to the tenth person and he tells it out loud, it bears absolutely no resemblance to the original sentence. I suspect that's what happened to the 114/alcohol tip.

Last edited by techinspector1; 11-24-2010 at 08:42 PM.