Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cam swap Questions
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Goin way fast since 1977

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cam swap Questions

It is my understanding that you would not have to remove the engine to complete a cam swap in a 78 Nova. I at least thought I understood that it is much easer to do the swap with the motor pulled but that you can still drop the oil pan and remove the timing cover with the engine in the car. I have a 305 and I just bought a new cam, lifters, springs, retainers, locks, valve seals and roller timing set to keep it alive a little longer and add a little performance while I build a new motor. I donít have a place to work on my car so I asked a guy I know who is trying to start a performance engine shop out of his garage if he would let me do the swap at his place. He told me that I would have to pull the motor to do the swap. Obviously I have never swapped a cam before or I would know the answer to this but Iím no slouch on figuring out solutions to mechanical problems or reading anything and everything I can get my hands on that is engine related. But with all the information contained in all the rags I have read there is no clear instruction on how to properly remove and install all of the gaskets required for a cam swap. (i.e. oil pan and timing cover) I have done an intake, carb, water pump, and harmonic balancer swap and I also have a set of headers to add to the list of successful swaps but this will be a first. Any advice will be appreciated and anyone with an open bay close to McKinney TX for me to work on my car in would be very appreciated.