Cam swap Questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Goin way fast since 1977

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cam swap Questions

It is my understanding that you would not have to remove the engine to complete a cam swap in a 78 Nova. I at least thought I understood that it is much easer to do the swap with the motor pulled but that you can still drop the oil pan and remove the timing cover with the engine in the car. I have a 305 and I just bought a new cam, lifters, springs, retainers, locks, valve seals and roller timing set to keep it alive a little longer and add a little performance while I build a new motor. I donít have a place to work on my car so I asked a guy I know who is trying to start a performance engine shop out of his garage if he would let me do the swap at his place. He told me that I would have to pull the motor to do the swap. Obviously I have never swapped a cam before or I would know the answer to this but Iím no slouch on figuring out solutions to mechanical problems or reading anything and everything I can get my hands on that is engine related. But with all the information contained in all the rags I have read there is no clear instruction on how to properly remove and install all of the gaskets required for a cam swap. (i.e. oil pan and timing cover) I have done an intake, carb, water pump, and harmonic balancer swap and I also have a set of headers to add to the list of successful swaps but this will be a first. Any advice will be appreciated and anyone with an open bay close to McKinney TX for me to work on my car in would be very appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2006, 07:08 PM

cam swap

You don't need to yank the motor to do a cam swap. It would be easier, but not necessary. All you really need is about 3 ft in front of the motor (to pull the cam out). this means removing the radiator, and all the shroud, etc. You'd need to drop the pan to get the timing cover free. That may require jacking up the motor off its mounts, a major pain if you have a crossmember in the way...The rest of the swap you can figure out. I would budget a weekend for this, as you will always run into stuck bolts, broken bits, etc. I've done it and it isn't too hard, just a bit involved.Good luck!
Old 10-17-2006, 10:55 PM

cam change

I don't belevie you have to drop the pan to get timing cover off on that year.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:52 AM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

All you have to do to the pan is remove the two front bolts. Then before you reinstall front cover cut the bottom of the cover at the seal at a angle so it slides back in.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.