Hot Rod Forum banner

Camaro clip install

27K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Rodder41 
#1 ·
Hey all '', Just wondering if theres anywhere on this site that shows how to install a camaro front clip in a 57 chevy truck. The only one i seen was a volare install. Also which one is better for steering hookup ,front or rear steer and what would be the best year of clip to get from wrecker. I have 2 trucks to do. Thanks in advance.

Chris :confused:

#6 ·
Re: clip

Sounds like the Monte clip would be a better fit than the camaro. Just might be harder to find reference points to measure from. Willys 36 seems to think that the monte is a better fit. Ahhh decisions decisions lol. Thanks for all your replys guys.

#7 ·
Rodder41

I can tell you from experience that the Gen 2 Camaro clip is a perfect fit for the 55-59 chevy trucks. The clip slides right into the truck frame. This front end wil allow at least 235 40 series tires up front. The shock tower holes provide a reference point. I can't speak to the Monte. It more narrow. I have had bad luck with a G-body graph since there is not a good reference point. The Monte may have this same problem. Plus, the tape I mentioned is a great source of information with step-by-step instructions.

#9 ·
I did A Lot Of Research Before Picking A Camaro Clip

Rodder41, I did alot of rearch and decided on the Camaro Clip. I would highly recommend this setup for you as well. If you check around, you will find that the a Camaro clip is the most popular IFS choice for our trucks.

I like the Gen II since you don't have header clearance issues that you have with rear stear and the better front end geometry made to the second gen Camaro.

#10 · (Edited)
Camaro clip for 1955-59 series, G-boby clip for AD trucks. The G-body subs are 3" narrower than the f-body subs. On the Camaro the front of the shock hole is the axle centerline, thus you have a good reference point. The G body holes are 1/2" off from side to side , which makes it harder to install. There is no symetry between sides.

The Must II is easier to install, but then you have to deal with the twitchy steering if you use power. Manual steering is not pleasent on these trks.

Attachments

#11 ·
i just finished a 56 big window. i have done probly 30 of these over the years. i do not cut up the clip. it set directly under the frame and ensures correct alignment. the end pieces that bolt to the camaro are the only place it is level and the same from side to side. there is a complete build of this truck under "cannons 56" in the builders corner on streetrodding.com. showing everything from tear down to complete. good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.