Hot Rod Forum banner

camaro clip install M-100

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  80ta 
#1 ·
I am about to install a 2nd gen camaro clip in a 53 merc M-100. I see that on GM trucks it is often installed with the top of the back frame stubs against the bottom of the frame. Does this work with the F-100 as well. My concern is ride height. I want it lowered but not scrubbing off the speed bumps.

I'm about ready to cut the frame and made a template to see how it will fit up to the clip. Seems like a big difference in height between the top of where F-100 frame rail is and the top of the camaro frame.

thanks 80ta

#2 ·
#3 ·
A friend of mine did this, he's an experienced chassis guy, he said never again! Way too much work to get the geometry right, took him about 25 hours to get everything right. He is the kind of guy that will not send it out the doors until it is perfect.

#4 ·
I guess I got lucky....Never had done this before....and it has driven great for the last 17 years.....

I used a Nova clip, it is a tad wide with the wheels I used, rubs a bit if I am turning and hit a dip. I didnt cut the clip, just laid it under the original frame and welded it up. I figured at the time that it would be stronger that way......

If I had it to do over again, I think I would have spaced the truck frame up about an inch to match the top of the Nova clip.......That would make it sit a bit higher in the front....new springs would likely solve that also.

#5 ·
the way i do them there is no problem with geometry . it will be the same as the camaro with one exception . we set them lower in the front . i use offset control arm bars to compensate for this. just easier to set up. i've done at least 20 gm clips this way. love the way they drive and ride . easy , quick and supper safe.

Attachments

#6 ·
duh poncho , just looked at the pics again . like minds i guess.
i started using a 1 in spacer under the front cab mount. buys a ton of tire clearance and steering clearance. it also puts the rad above the steering box. hard to tell when looking at them. this 56 runs 225/65's on the front. never hit.

Attachments

#10 ·
Clip is in place, finish welding it tommorrow. Your help made this so much easier. Like everything else, set up takes the time, the cutting and welding goes pretty quick once all the measureing and bracing is done. Likely over did it a bit on the cross bracing but all in all it went really smooth.

I'm going to box it but will finish on the rotisserie ( built one last fall), will be a bit easier to get at all the tight spots and won't have to stand on my head to work on the bottom.

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.