Hot Rod Forum banner

camaro clips

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  poncho62 
#1 ·
Hi All I have put a cmaro clip in my cornbinder 1/2 ton, and have put it back together. the suspension has not come down off its stops yet and am wondering if its normal to have to cut the coils down on these. any suggestions on coil cutting. wouldn,t normally do this. would have some made to length fresh but have no starting point
Thanks tuk

#3 ·
clips

hey poncho thanks for the reply yes i have the power train in and cab on, engine set back as far as poss. it is just ready to come off the stops but takes about 100 more pounds.
Humor i'm 51 and just sold my 51 ford , it had 230000 miles on it and i wanted a cornbinder as i grew up with one and my dad screwed me out of it. i satrted on the binder 6 weeks ago and am putting the cab on now. has come out very nice so far it's not for show , we drive em year round, putting a set of guages together today in the old dash, quite a job retrofiting the new in the old panel
e-mail me and i'll send you pics of my old 51
thanks good day tuk

sorry new to this i guess ya need an e-mail
it's gng1@shaw.ca
tuk

#4 ·
You said that you set the engine back as far as possible. That may be part of the problem. Setting the engine back takes weight off of the front end. Mine sits in the stock Nova location. You may have to go with lighter springs. Cutting the coils won't make it any softer ride.

Speaking of getting screwed over by the old man, my dad had a 55 International panel truck when I was about 14. He bought it from Downsveiw airport when it shut down, so it had low mileage. I wanted that truck real bad, but he traded it in on a 68 Chevy van..............................oh well.

Where you at tuk?....I live near Toronto.

#7 ·
binder

Hi all
i posted a pic of my truck oin the gallery. I cut on coil off my coils and it worked out perfect . it's just stiff enough out of a z car, so now i'll have standen spring build me a new set. stance is just right i think. we live three blocks south of the igloos for yo all down south there. Just south of calgary ab. where the hockey gurus are gonna do it this year, starting tonight, HHaaaaaaaaaaaah :thumbup: wouldn't put any money on it though. have a good day guys
tuk:thumbup:

#9 ·
51 ford

hey Poncho how ya doin
I found my ford on the net where i posted it for sale. chev is still for sale. i posted it in my profile. it had thengine set back as far as possible and th c/g was almost bang on 12 pounds difference front to rear. it also had a tognotti g/jack in it an would jack weight from side to side and front to rear. 85 % of it's weight in 7 millonths of a second. the fellow that bought it bought it because he liked the way it would smoke the tires at 140 k pulling a trailer. he's had it for about 8 months now and just e-mailed me has put 15,000 on it and loves it to death. don't know what he'd a thought if i left the g/jack in it. there dangerous in the wrong hands. I taught steering for bear for about ten years, and was the technical advisor for them. like corners in big old tall trucks chasin vettes down our old mountain roads here. I'm also building a 1942 english ford thames panel for my wife, i'll post if i can find pics of it. it's a tough build but were about 3/4 done. has a fullie 4.3 with 350 flat tops roler everything 310 lbs torque from1650 to 4800, 3.75-1 diff 3.9-1 1st gear. should be a real burper. c/g is 55 rear and 45 front on this one. it will be a busrt. I stared on the binder 6 weeks ago and it'll be in velvet in one month. and back to the thames as upper management wants her truck nowwwwwwwwwwwwww. you know my running boards and fenders are free. just do a rod run out here and throw them in the box on the way back. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOd day bud
tuk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.