Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Camaro Door Straighten
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 08:22 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I'm building an 85 camaro(Iroc) my drivers door had about a 1/3 of the damage yours does and full of those holes too...so off to pull-a-part I went, there was ten to choose from I found a real nice drivers door undamaged with O rust...48.00..
I found a real nice pass door while there
I suspect my pass door is in the same shape so I'll take the grinder to it to be sure but for 50.00 I cant even weld up the holes that cheap,never mind all that filler work and in the end I'll have a filler free set of doors with very little time in them...
Skinning it would be my next choice, it sould only take 1-2 hours to skin that bad boy and not only would it be cheaper in the end it'll be filler free.

There are those that love doing filler work though,I'm just not one of them.Its dirty and time consuming ,that door would take me a min of 10 hrs to get ready for paint,at my shop thats 500.00 for a door full of bondo..a skin would be 2-300.00...a good used door 150.00 but you have to look them over real good...
There are no $50.00 Camaro doors in my area, I don't remember $50.00 doors ever now that I think of it. Guess it depends on locale. If you count the time it takes to go to the salvage yard, scout the door and then remove it, plus you have to remove door off of "good" car to replace it and then get everything to line up with replacement door plus you usually have to strip the paint off old door to prep for paint and transfer the insides of your old door and glass, reinstall interior door panel. That takes less time than popping out a 1/2" depression and filling it? That was never the case when I did it for a living. Plus 35yr old door gaskets don't transfer over very well and the one on the donner door ain't gonna seal either. I can weld allot of holes for less than $50.00, it would cost a DIY jobber much more to change out that door, just saying........