Camaro Door Straighten - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 11:37 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

don't get me wrong, I get the volcanoes too but on most repairs of that era I see no clear direction as to where to put the holes. They're usually all in a straight line, as if the guy said, "this is the lowest spot I'm pulling here!", and because they didn't put the holes where they needed to be to roll it out, or perhaps didn't hammer down highs while yanking they create huge volcanoes. Seeing this is just a head ache to fix. I'm sure I wouldn't have done any different...I probably would have mudded over them to top it off.

Thought it was worth mentioning because the severity of that could be a determining factor on whether or not to skin. I did my mustang and it had holes all accross the door and as I was half done I wanted to just toss it but also didn't want to throw away all that work. I got to keep my original sheet metal allright...some odd hours later.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggers View Post
Well you big butcher lets see some photos of the finished repair lol!!!!!!
Jeez, you old ladies are relentless!! You guys shamed me in to welding up the holes. Welded up 30 so far, only 30 left to go. What a PITA! I still think this is less work than re-skinning the door, and no doubt Cheap Charlie would approve!

I will post pics to show progress when I can. Happy Holidays!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goldduster360 For This Useful Post:
cyclopsblown34 (01-03-2013), tech69 (12-26-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 06:52 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I'm building an 85 camaro(Iroc) my drivers door had about a 1/3 of the damage yours does and full of those holes too...so off to pull-a-part I went, there was ten to choose from I found a real nice drivers door undamaged with O rust...48.00..
I found a real nice pass door while there
I suspect my pass door is in the same shape so I'll take the grinder to it to be sure but for 50.00 I cant even weld up the holes that cheap,never mind all that filler work and in the end I'll have a filler free set of doors with very little time in them...
Skinning it would be my next choice, it sould only take 1-2 hours to skin that bad boy and not only would it be cheaper in the end it'll be filler free.

There are those that love doing filler work though,I'm just not one of them.Its dirty and time consuming ,that door would take me a min of 10 hrs to get ready for paint,at my shop thats 500.00 for a door full of bondo..a skin would be 2-300.00...a good used door 150.00 but you have to look them over real good...
Old 12-27-2012, 07:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I'm building an 85 camaro(Iroc) my drivers door had about a 1/3 of the damage yours does and full of those holes too...so off to pull-a-part I went, there was ten to choose from I found a real nice drivers door undamaged with O rust...48.00..
I found a real nice pass door while there
I suspect my pass door is in the same shape so I'll take the grinder to it to be sure but for 50.00 I cant even weld up the holes that cheap,never mind all that filler work and in the end I'll have a filler free set of doors with very little time in them...
Skinning it would be my next choice, it sould only take 1-2 hours to skin that bad boy and not only would it be cheaper in the end it'll be filler free.

There are those that love doing filler work though,I'm just not one of them.Its dirty and time consuming ,that door would take me a min of 10 hrs to get ready for paint,at my shop thats 500.00 for a door full of bondo..a skin would be 2-300.00...a good used door 150.00 but you have to look them over real good...
There are no $50.00 Camaro doors in my area, I don't remember $50.00 doors ever now that I think of it. Guess it depends on locale. If you count the time it takes to go to the salvage yard, scout the door and then remove it, plus you have to remove door off of "good" car to replace it and then get everything to line up with replacement door plus you usually have to strip the paint off old door to prep for paint and transfer the insides of your old door and glass, reinstall interior door panel. That takes less time than popping out a 1/2" depression and filling it? That was never the case when I did it for a living. Plus 35yr old door gaskets don't transfer over very well and the one on the donner door ain't gonna seal either. I can weld allot of holes for less than $50.00, it would cost a DIY jobber much more to change out that door, just saying........
Old 12-28-2012, 06:43 AM

Your on the right track...I was stripping the whole car anyways got the nose done and the door when I decided to scrap the door it takes less that an hour to strip a door but thats the easy part I'm rebuilding the door with new seals window regs& motors,rebuilt hinges etc...
Yours is a whole different type of job,I understand this..taking the door off will open a big can of worms and get expensive so you just want to fix the damage and only the damage...two completely different jobs...
That said, I dont just go wandering around the yards looking for a part ,I get online find the part and how many there are so I can pick and choose..Once I found the best door it took less than 15 min to pull it ,its a complete door so if I wanted too I could just replace it as a unit and just change out the lock cylinder Once I left the shop I was back within two hrs and had lunch too.
so far I have two hrs getting it ...100.00
the door itself.............................50.00
1 1/2 hrs stripping the outside and rebuilding the hinges...75.00
today I'll spend a few min and spray the epoxy primer on the outer shell and tomorrow 1 1/2 hr fixing 1/2 a dozen dime size dings but lets call it another 4hrs or 200.00 altogether thats 425 for a freash door ready to paintmost of that is all preppeing that I'd have to do anywayactual body work is only 1 1/2 hrsSo in my case its the way to go being my labor is expensiveIf your not counting labor its ok to spend two days doing body work only its just 10-30.00 for a can of bondo.
But to tell the truth ,if I was doing that job I would'nt bother welding up the holes,I'd just stuff it too...Theres the right way for every job and thats the right way for that particular job...mostly I was just showing there are good doors out thereand they are prtty cheap I found two less than 5 mile away ....and dont buy stuff from Ebay and amitures get your parts from yards that know how to grade the quality of the part so you donet waste time and money buying junk....Location DOES have a lot to do with the selection and quality of parts.... a good salvage yard will ship all over the country....
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
cyclopsblown34 (01-03-2013)
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Your on the right track...I was stripping the whole car anyways got the nose done and the door when I decided to scrap the door it takes less that an hour to strip a door but thats the easy part I'm rebuilding the door with new seals window regs& motors,rebuilt hinges etc...
Yours is a whole different type of job,I understand this..taking the door off will open a big can of worms and get expensive so you just want to fix the damage and only the damage...two completely different jobs...
That said, I dont just go wandering around the yards looking for a part ,I get online find the part and how many there are so I can pick and choose..Once I found the best door it took less than 15 min to pull it ,its a complete door so if I wanted too I could just replace it as a unit and just change out the lock cylinder Once I left the shop I was back within two hrs and had lunch too.
so far I have two hrs getting it ...100.00
the door itself.............................50.00
1 1/2 hrs stripping the outside and rebuilding the hinges...75.00
today I'll spend a few min and spray the epoxy primer on the outer shell and tomorrow 1 1/2 hr fixing 1/2 a dozen dime size dings but lets call it another 4hrs or 200.00 altogether thats 425 for a freash door ready to paintmost of that is all preppeing that I'd have to do anywayactual body work is only 1 1/2 hrsSo in my case its the way to go being my labor is expensiveIf your not counting labor its ok to spend two days doing body work only its just 10-30.00 for a can of bondo.
But to tell the truth ,if I was doing that job I would'nt bother welding up the holes,I'd just stuff it too...Theres the right way for every job and thats the right way for that particular job...mostly I was just showing there are good doors out thereand they are prtty cheap I found two less than 5 mile away ....and dont buy stuff from Ebay and amitures get your parts from yards that know how to grade the quality of the part so you donet waste time and money buying junk....Location DOES have a lot to do with the selection and quality of parts.... a good salvage yard will ship all over the country....
I completely agree.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:29 AM

Hey GD ,Your right next door in Fla...I used to live in Ocala about 15yrs ago we had some pretty good yards there but the demand was high ,theres a lot of hotrodders down there,You cant hop in your car and go to the store without seeing a few ...I dont know whats up with this town but thers not too many rodders out there.You wouldnt believe the cars I've seen at the yards even the U-pull-it had a 40 merc with a few good parts left,a 66 mustang,the nose was flattend but from the doors back was pretty nice....and all the interior was still there.
heres a pic of the old doorit had some rust that I was going to repair but when I saw all the bondo I scrapped it (red door)
Then a pic of the new one after I stripped it(silver door)
Not too bad for 50.00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8595.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1,008.7 KB
ID:	70170   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8597.jpg
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	70171   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8592.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	70172   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8593.jpg
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	70173   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8598.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	70174  

Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

End of an era

Yeah, when I was in west palm 15 yrs ago there were scads of 70-81 camaro and 70-76 Duster-Valiant stuff. Used to make me sick how many minty valiants went to the yard. I got all the glass out of a Duster for $40.00. The rustbelt cars always had good door glass because the window felts were not all dried out from the sun to scratch everything. They had the good interior parts too. When WPB enacted the smog checks that sent allot of retiree's cars to the yard who had migrated down here from up North. Good times, but the ride is over.

I have hit several yards in my area in Vero that do not have a single 2nd gen camaro or duster part.

Your 85 Camaro is the 70 Camaro of the now. Enjoy it while it lasts......
Old 03-05-2013, 05:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggers View Post
Well you big butcher lets see some photos of the finished repair lol!!!!!!
I got the holes welded up and added some plastic. Door is shaping up easier than I thought. Using a foot long two by four with some sandpaper stapled to it. Perfect for this size of job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camaroweld.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	72080   Click image for larger version

Name:	camaroplastic.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	72081  
Old 03-07-2013, 01:08 PM

Last photo:

Worked good. Thanks guys!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Hey James...I think you posted on the wrong thread...at least I hope so...that would mean that you got the etch primer off...LOL.

Ray
Old 03-07-2013, 02:10 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

In the end, I'm so glad I have my stud welder, it sure pays for itself first time you use it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.