camaro drag car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2005, 03:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

camaro drag car

ok i have a
85 camaro

#1)with sway bars removed
#2)gutted
#3)modified track bar (the one from the tranny to the rear) move up halve an inch
#4)456 gears and mini spool (summit&jegs) said the 7.5 rear end would hold together longer
#5)27'' tall cheater slicks but i think i will need 28'' or 29''
#6) borgwarner t5 nonworld class (i know it wont hold for long)
#7) 350 4bolt
#8) flat top pistons (would like 12.5 or bigger)
#9) crane 534 554 lift cam
#10) 1.6 roller rockers
#11) 461 heads fully ported and polished with 600 lift springs
#12) headers
#13) performer rpm but have a victor junior and a 5'' spacer
#14) 750holley duble pumper with proform parts and big jets
#15) waterpump drive kit
#16) electric fan
I was thinking of better heads if so what kind? and i was thinking of ram race clutch. nos 125 shot. many extras how fast in the quarter you think at 1200 feet above sea? how much hp and tourq

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

With the setup you have, your going to have to rev it high from take off just to get a decent start since the cam is on the big side. I doubt the tranny will live through the first pass, so I don`t see the need in wasteing the money on a clutch for it unless the clutch will work on a stronger and better tranny. When you get the tranny sorted out, the rear will be the next to go, once it hooks hard either the axle, the gears or carrier will break, and don`t even think about adding nitrous to the mix, that`s really asking for disaster. Best recommendation I can give is get the tranny and rear sorted out with upgraded pieces before you attempt to race this car, to have a tranny explode is not a pretty site and can be dangerous without a scatter shield, or to have a axle break when launching will send the car into a side spin and make it go in circles making it not safe for you or the guy in the other lane.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris oswalt
blah,blah,blah....
.how fast in the quarter you think at 1200 feet above sea? how much hp and tourq
Why not take it to the track and find out? I am also going to guess about 200hp/200ftlbs....why that number? Because we have NO CLUE how well the motor is put together. To get an accurate hp figure, you should take it to a dyno and get it on the ramps and do a few pulls.

Later,
WEIMER
Old 06-22-2005, 12:54 AM

Last photo:

The only way to know is to run it. If you had more specific info we could give some educated guesses. With the info you offered there is no way to guess. You said how much lift the cam had but, left out the duration and LSA.

We have no idea of how much the car weighs, this can be a HUGE factor. Are you running two intakes? You said you have a Vic Jr. and a RPM. With the rest of the combo, the only way to go is with a single plane intake you have 4.56's and 27" tall tires, this thing is going to rev.

You never said if you have a solid cam, hyd. cam, roller or flat tappet. This all will effect things greatly. Are those lift numbers with 1.5 or 1.6 rockers? The heads will be a limiting factor, there are a lot of heads out there that are better.

As far as the nitrous, that will depend on the cam you have if the LSA is to narrow you will not gain as much as you would with a wider LSA.

I guess I am basically saying you didn't give enough info.

Royce
Old 06-22-2005, 11:18 AM

Last journal entry: Ontario Camaro Nationals 2008
Last photo:

With that combo all running well obviously you should make about 370 hp.

Ric
Old 06-22-2005, 05:46 PM

sorry guys i was in a hurry.
the cam is a solid lifter crane cam adv. duration is 288/296 but i have the 1.6 roller tiped rockers on it to. sorry i would give you more info on the cam but the cam card is at the shop. Jegs and summit said that if i put NOS on it keep it under a 125shot.

The car started at about 3200 pounds. (I guess it probly weights 3000 pounds)
I took any unnessisary things out seats (i have race seats)
carpet
headliner
speakers
radio
heater
any wiring that was just laying around
and want to pull the crash beams out of the doors
I have got to see what i can do to lighten the rear hatch

If i could drop it into the low 12s high 11s i would be happy as a
Old 06-25-2005, 03:47 PM

inlighten me

What can i do to lighten the doors and rear hatch on a 85 camaro.
Am i going to need more power or cubes to run in the low 11 second zone.
I want my car to run fast but it will only be driven 1 time per summer.
How offten sould i change the oil in it?
How can i put 3'' mufflers under the thing? Have you guys seen cars with the long tube headers with 3'' mufflers?
I think if i make a real 500hp or a little more it will get the time i want.
what do you think?
Am i asking to much?
Old 06-26-2005, 01:14 AM

Last photo:

You are not going to get into the 11s or probably even the 12s with that motor. I would go get a set of frame connectors for it or you will twist the car. the best way to lighten the rear hatch is to take out the glass and get lexan installed. you would be better off just ordering a set of fiberglass doors if you really have to lighten them. Wuy build the car if you are only going going to drive it once a year?
Old 06-26-2005, 03:33 AM
Superior Wheels Quality Tech

Last photo:

ROLL CAGE.. Any kind of power in the third gens without additional frame support is calling for a disaster. Most of the time these cars couldn't even handle the stock power from the factory.. Hence why you see many "rodded" 3rd gens with stress cracks at the top corner of the door from the frame flexing.. Stiffen that frame up... Not only will the cage be a good safety measure it'll aslo get the car properly aligned if installed correctly to make it hook better off the line.

As for 3 inch.. I've got hooker super compe full length headers to 3" collectors.. dual 3" just past the trans crossmember into dual cutouts.. after the cutouts it merges into a single pipe to run down the driveshaft opposite of the torque arm. Up and over the rear axle into a muffler with single 3" inlet with dual 2.5" outlets.. Makes it nice and quiet for the street and can uncap it with the dual cutouts for wide open headers at the track. But be warned that going 3" under the crossmember doesn't allow for much ground clearance.. Got to be careful on speed bumps, railroad tracks, etc...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.