Camaro front end swap help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 10:46 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Camaro front end swap help

finally I found a donor camaro to swap it's front subframe into my '46 chevy sedan, currentlly it rides over a C10 chassis but the front track is too wide and looks ugly, I want to weld the camaro's front end to a '76 malibu frame and sit the '46 body over it, the malibu has the perimeter frame that suits better the '46's body than the current tall pickup frame that has now wich made me loose almost all the room in the rear floor, I only have part of this malibu's frame, from the part that starts widening to the rear, I already used the front part in another project.
I'm not familiar with camaro front ends, is there any special recomendation I should know? any suggestions.

thanks.

Augusto.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2007, 05:34 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Why couldn't you place th 46 body on the Camaro frame?
As true with all front end swaps...measure measure measure.....if you don't get it right ; it'll not be able to be aligned.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:28 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Rear Armrests
Last photo:

Go to my project journal and check entry #37.

Look for a rear steer sub frame. Getting hard to find in the Camaros. Think it was 67 - 69 only. Novas into the 70's basically have the same sub frame. Even with the rear steer you will have to cut 2" out of the crossmember and center link and/or install narrow a-frames.

After you get done with all that, you will have to graft the modified sub frame to the Malibu frame after you whack off its front suspension.

These cars are deceptively narrow. And you are looking at a lot of work if you want it to sit low in the front. You can use the suspension as is, but you will have to jack the front of the car up so the tires will clear while you are turning.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:50 AM
Dave's hot Rod Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergusonic
Why couldn't you place th 46 body on the Camaro frame?
As true with all front end swaps...measure measure measure.....if you don't get it right ; it'll not be able to be aligned.

The Camaro is a sub frame only. Not a full frame.
You are correct about the alignment.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

Camaro front end swap help

At first I was wondering why you were taking the long way around the barn. Then I looked at your location. Now I can see why using the parts you have on hand is so attractive. If there is any chance of picking up a '46 Chevy chassis, it would solve so many problems you are going to run into. The Camaro sub is going to be too wide for your car. It's easy enough to section 2" out of the middle of the front crossmember. After that's done you are faced with a sway bar that is too long. Cutting or reshaping it is not really a good idea. I've heard that a '79 -'82 Monte Carlo sway bar will work. You said you have a front clip. Is the steering box behind the crossmember? This is by far the best one to use. Hooking up the column is a whole lot easier and making the mounts for the front sheet metal is very easy to do.

I'm just trying to point out some of the problem areas your going to run into. On the other hand, about 20 years ago, I helped a friend put a '70 Nova clip under a '41 chevy 4 door. He drove that car year 'round for 5 years up here in Minnesota. I gotta tell ya, it was one of the best ridin' old Chevys I ever rid-en in.

LOL, Youngster
Old 09-28-2007, 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=redsdad]

Go to my project journal and check entry #37.

Look for a rear steer sub frame.

[QUOTE]

the clip 2 link does not work, it says that the file is damaged, clip 1 is fine and very helpful since my project is quite similar to yours, thanks, I hope you can fix the second link.

the front steer works fine, my 46 has been riding for several years over the C10 chassis wich is of this type, the steering column is already aligned pointing up front towards the box.

Youngster:

the camaro subframe has the rigth width, It's narrower than the C10 wich left me with the front tires sticking 2 inches out of the front fenders making the car ugly, I widened the rear fenders but didn't want to widen the fronts because it would of ended up ugly.

It is very hard finding old cars to make projects down here, the frame of my 46 was in very bad shape so I swaped for one from a wrecked C10 pickup that I had, it ended up working great but with the wrong front width, also has the problem of it being a pickup's frame, the rear section of it is very tall to support the bed and this obligued me to cut and channel the rear floor of the car, leaving a big step on the floor and a very tall rear seat, the malibu's frame is very wide (perimeter frame) an low, also is coil suspended, is perfect for the 46, it will allow me to regain the room lost and make a flat floor again.

I'm not new at cutting and splicing frames, I've done this several times before, my last project was installing the front clip of this malibu's into a '52 International Harvester pickup, it's one of the nicest projects I've done.

Thank you all for helping, please continue adding info.

Augusto
Old 09-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I just finished putting a rear steer nova clip under a 1958 Chevy truck,worked out great!! :I have a 49 ford truck to do next,And a 40 dodge,(car) mwink:

P.s. If you are going to cut down a camaro clip,Just use a S-10 clip ,they are a dime a dozen.

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 09-28-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:05 PM

mi amigo, if I could find wrecked S-10's at a dime a dozen down here I would have to quit my job to build project cars, that's some of the things that I miss so much about living in USA, the great JUNKYARDS!!! I just love them, I wish there was a single one here like those from up there.
It took me years to find a camaro bad enough to buy for parts, even rotten ones are still driven here, a couple of months ago I almost puked when I lifted the hood of a 73 camaro and found a toyota four banger inside, I'm sure the owner will roast in hell.

A very damaged and incomplete 67 camaro is for sale here for 6.000, can you believe what the tv show overhaulin' did to us?

Augusto.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Didn't know that yall was that limited to them there,never been there!!
Old 09-28-2007, 08:17 PM

this lands are dominated by japan, toyota, mazda, etc. several euro, peugeot, renault, etc, and the japanese versions of the chevrolet name, mostly made by suzuki and isuzu, also the european GM Opel cars are sold here under the chevy name, ford has it's place with full size pickups and suv's, korea is also a good hit with hyundai and kia, the traditional american cars sucumbed in the 80's due to the high gasoline prices, V8's are now as scarce as honest politicians, american cars from the 90's on are a curiosity brougth by some exectric guys, cadillacs for instance are unknown but mercedes benz, volvo and BMW are highly appreciated, everybody and his cousin has or wants a suv no matter what size, from vitaras to armadas, monteros or explorers, trailblazers etc, if you want to be the baddest kid in town you better drive a 4 door F150 or a Silverado, almost all the brands are present here, including some chinesse newcomers but the vast majority of american cars never landed here.
until the 70's the 3 big american brands dominated the market, a large american boat meant status, now me and several friend scrounge junkyards looking for a classic to restore, I've been looking for a 60's mustang for years with no luck, my brother though found a beautiful 67 fastback that is restoring now, as you can see being a hotrodder here is very difficult, the new kids are misled into thinking that tuning is the hot way, I want to puke when I see a renault full of neon ligths and speakers wings and 20in wheels with minuscule brakes inside, toyotas full of ugly decals and chrome floor mats with insect-eyes-like headligths, man this **** came from europe and stinks. fortunatelly several real hot rods are being cooked here now.
Augusto.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.