Camaro fuel line issue, please help!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Camaro fuel line issue, please help!!

Hi I have a 87 Camaro and just did an engine swap, I am having major issues with the fuel lines coming out of the tank. There a 3 lines, 1 is a line to the charcoal canister and i am capping that one off. The problem I am having is the other two, the thicker one as far as I know is the main fuel line. The other one is supposed to be a return line, so I was going to eliminate the return line and got underneath the car and cut the metal line to get hosed by gasoline. I expected some gasd but it wouldnt stop flowing. If this is a return line then why does it spew gas and keep spewing?? Now I have a cut metal line and am confused as what to do now?? I did cut the right one didnt I?? The whole reason I did this to begin with is because my headers were too close to the metal fuel lines and were getting the lines real hot. So I was going to re-route the main line and eliminate the return since it was capped off at the fender were it and the main line were anyways. So cant I just cap this on off at the tank? I'm confused.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 05:36 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

you have to have the return fuel line connected

it will lose fuel like that.

you need it. it has to do with bleeding off fuel from the pump.

re-route if you need to like you were planning on doing originally.

the vent hose to the canister i highly recommend keeping also.

it vents your fuel tank so it wont build up pressure badly, the canister stores the vented fumes to be sucked in by the intake manifold so they can be burnt

the cap is non vented and relies on the vent hose to vent the tank to the engine instead of into the air through the cap in which hasnt been done since around 1970

no reason to do away with this either.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
you have to have the return fuel line connected

it will lose fuel like that.

you need it. it has to do with bleeding off fuel from the pump.

re-route if you need to like you were planning on doing originally.

the vent hose to the canister i highly recommend keeping also.

it vents your fuel tank so it wont build up pressure badly, the canister stores the vented fumes to be sucked in by the intake manifold so they can be burnt

the cap is non vented and relies on the vent hose to vent the tank to the engine instead of into the air through the cap in which hasnt been done since around 1970

no reason to do away with this either.
There is no where to hook up the return, it is not a stock motor it is a built 406 with a holley fuel pump with 1 in and 1 out. Also not to say that you are wrong but you are the first person to tell me to keep the cannister. It's for emissions and my car has no emissions anymore.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:33 PM
auto/truck/equipment tech.

Last photo:

the charcoal canister was used to absorb evaporative emissions from the fuel tank, which were then sucked into the engine and burned when the evap system commanded it to be. All I have ever done with that vent line is stick a plastic diff vent cap in it, then the tank can breathe, but wont suck in dirt and mud wasps cant get in the line. As for the return line, is it possible that you're just siphoning fuel from the tank? If you're running an external pump, I see no reason why you cant cap it. But you'll need to vent the tank or a vacuum will result.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:40 PM
More for Less Racer

The tank needs a vent or it will reach a point after you have pumped several gallons out to the engine that the vacuum created inside the tank will not allow your electric pump to pump any more out of the tank until you open the gas cap and relieve the vacuum. So hook the vent hose back up. Did you remove the in-tank factory pump when you added the Holley electric?, because it needs to be removed or it will be a restriction. You can just block the return at the tank in your case, it was just there as part of the fuel injection system.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:59 PM

No i'm sorry I should have made it clear that my car was originally equipped with a carb. I swapped out the motor and installed a sbc 406. It is built and has an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and an Edelbrock 1407 750cfm carb. My fuel pump is a Holley 12-327 (110 gph) with a Holley 12-803 regulator. I have it set at a little over 6 psi. My car does start real easy but wont idle. But I didnt want to try to adjust anything cause when I got it started for ther first time the other day I noticed that the fuel lines were REAL hot. So here I am confused. No I also did not take anything out of the tank. But I wonder if a different pump in the tank is necessary? Also car has no emissions whatsoever.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:55 PM

hey have you fixed this problem this is the first engine build ive performed and its exact to yours. Im having the same problem. I capped mine in the engine compartment and it pops the car an will leak gas. I left the charcoal breather on though. thanx
Old 07-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80's rule!
I have it set at a little over 6 psi.
BZZZZZT!!!! Wrong answer. 5 lbs maximum. MORE PRESSURE WILL NOT MAKE MORE HORSEPOWER IN A CARBURETED SYSTEM.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:17 PM

I have got this problem resolved, I went to stant and got the part number for a vented locking cap and capped off the return line and the line that went to the charcoal cannister. Cap them off at the bottom of the tank. The vented cap works great. No more issues!!!! Also depending on your fuel set-up I got a holley fuel pressure regulator and a 750 edelbrock performer carb, set the regulator at 6.5 psi. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
BZZZZZT!!!! Wrong answer. 5 lbs maximum. MORE PRESSURE WILL NOT MAKE MORE HORSEPOWER IN A CARBURETED SYSTEM.
No but 5 psi is too little in a 406 motor that is built. I have it set at 6.5 psi and it responds fantastic.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80's rule!
No but 5 psi is too little in a 406 motor that is built. I have it set at 6.5 psi and it responds fantastic.
Son, it doesn't matter if the motor is 1000 cubic inches. If it's carbureted with a modern 4-bbl carburetor, all the pressure it needs is 5 psi. You're confusing pressure with volume. Yes a larger motor will need more fuel, but it will need a larger VOLUME of fuel, not more fuel pressure. Use bigger lines, not more pressure.

But heck, I've only been doin' this crap for 50 years. What do I know? You just keep pokin' at that bear with a stick.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:23 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I have an ´86 Camaro, 350 carbed motor with Holley pump, I only use the fuel feed line the others are capped no problem.
The fuel system has been like this for a long time with the original 305 and now with my 350.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:24 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

i agree with rtech inspector

more pressure does not mean more volume

more volume in the same size tubing or hose than another one of the same size will be more pressure in the first one than the second one

has to do with resistance etc

trying to push the same amount of fluid through a smaller diameter will mean more pressure in the smaller diameter tubing or hose
Old 07-16-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Son, it doesn't matter if the motor is 1000 cubic inches. If it's carbureted with a modern 4-bbl carburetor, all the pressure it needs is 5 psi. You're confusing pressure with volume. Yes a larger motor will need more fuel, but it will need a larger VOLUME of fuel, not more fuel pressure. Use bigger lines, not more pressure.

But heck, I've only been doin' this crap for 50 years. What do I know? You just keep pokin' at that bear with a stick.
I'm not trying to poke the bear with a stick, I appreciate all input on this website. But you mean to tell me that nobody ever gives wrong advice? Not to say that you did but lots of others do, even when they mean well. My car is running really well at between 6-6.5 psi. I have 3/8 line. So are you telling me to fix something that aint broke? I really like this site and do appreciate when people try to help but there are more armchair quaterbacks out there than pro's so I'll simply put it this way stop making faces at the tiger behind the plexiglass.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.