camaro subframe in 53 chevy truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 11:15 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

camaro subframe in 53 chevy truck

Hi, I am new to your forum,I just got the hot rod bug, I was a drag racer for years and its time to slow down! I need to know what all is entailed to putting a 80 camaro subframe under my 53 chevy truck. I have welding skills and some fab skills. I see in articals all the time this being done. Does anyone know any articals on this ? Thanks Tom

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

WELCOME to Hotrodders.com

I saw this elsewhere and it might be of help.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=148978

I would strongly SUGGEST you read the thread and lurk there for awhile before posting there ... That forum is not as open and friendly as some forums.

Deuce Moderator
Old 05-01-2007, 08:12 AM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The 2nd gen camaro/firebird (F-body) sub-frame is too wide for the 48-55.1 chevy trucks. You WILL have tire/fender clearance problems. I would also suggest you visit Stovebolt.com and research past threads on this topic.

I did a G-body sub frame (Monte Carlo/Regal/Grand Prix) to my 54 and it was very fabrication intensive to solve all the issues. If I were to do it again I would use an IFS kit. The subframe method is much better suited to the 55-59 series trucks. The F body subframe is a very good choice for that chassis.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Houston54 is correct. Don't use the Camaro sub on the 47-53 AD trucks it's too wide. If you absolutely have to use a sub frame use an early Nova its a little narrower and will fit much better.

I have a Heidts Mustang II IFS under my '53 and it fits and works very well. That is always an option and is a lot easier since all the engineering has been done for you up front.

As Deuce said.... if you go to the HAMB (Jalopy Journal) don't just jump in right off, they will annihilate you. Personally I don't go there at all but I'm not going to get into that now this isn't the place or time. Don't get me wrong there is a lot of talent there but ferreting through the tremendous amount of BS to find it can be a challenge.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.