Hot Rod Forum banner

camaro subframe tech ?

19K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  ClassicDriver 
#1 ·
I installed a 76 camaro subframe on my 55 chevy and the track width is to wide for the nostalgia wheels I want to run. the wheels are old and I cant get them in a special offset. I heard that the 1970 camaro used the same frame but had a different track width (narrower). Question is can I buy different a arms or spindles or somehow narrow my track width without messing up the steering and suspension geometry, or at least not create any bumpsteer or major problems. I'm trying to narrow track width by 3". Also what is the best way to measure when the frame is done to see if it was done square. Thanks in advance

#2 ·
My understanding was that the Nova subframes were a bit narrower than the Camaro ones. Not usre if it was the "A: arms or the frame itself.

If you have not done this yet, apparently the "G" body Chevelle, Cutlass etc frames are a better fit (a bit narrower)

#5 ·
Here's a listing of front track of various cars and trucks.....

Your '76 Camaro clip is 61.3" front track width.
'55 first series Chevy truck was 59.5"
'55 second series Chevy truck was 60.52"
'67-'69 Camaro was 58.7"
'78-'86 G body, as suggested by poncho62, was 58.5"
'74-'79 Mustang II was 55.6"
'83-'01 S-10 was 54.5"

As far as narrowing the track of the Camaro clip, I wouldn't do it, knowing what I do about suspension geometry. Either pull your horns in and use a wheel that will fit or get out the blue-tip wrench and change front clips. For your truck, the G body clip would be my choice, although the S-10 clip works out well too......
Advanced-Design Engineering S10 Frame Swap for AD Trucks

Last thoughts:
How about making some spacers for the front fenders, space them out by a couple of inches????

#7 ·
I didnt specify but its a 55 chevy car and the subframe is already installed with the sheet metal and core support trimmed and fitted, so I am trying to save it if possible
Sorry, my mind automatically goes to trucks. The stock front track on your Chevy would be 58.5". I really don't see any option except to change your mind about the wheels. Never, ever would I change control arm width.

#8 ·
ok thanks, and how about the other question about measuring to see if a frame is square. Here's the deal, I have a 56 chevy truck and have a friend that has a truck with a camaro clip and he wants to go with a mustang ll so wants to sell the clipped frame but i want to make sure its straight and true, what points do i measure from and how do you measure ( like drop a plum bob down to the floor and measure between marks or use a string line or what? )

#9 ·
like drop a plum bob down to the floor and measure between marks or use a string line or what? )
Dropping a plumb bob from references that are the same location side to side in the front and the back of the vehicle is exactly how I have done it for years. If you have a relatively level floor, you can get real close using this method.

First thing to do is drop a line from each side of the differential housing to the floor and make your reference marks on the floor. Then do the same with left and right reference points at the front of the car. Then measure diagonally from the left rear to the right front and from the left front to the right rear. Both measurements should be the same. If not, something is out of whack.

#14 ·
Exactly, there is your solution.

Yes geomotry changes a little but it's not that big of a deal in the real world.

Summit carries Heidts http://www.summitracing.com/search/...owed-control-arms/make/chevrolet/model/camaro

This is why I don't like these swaps, they are done way too often. There are disc brake conversions that would have went right on that 55 front suspension and it would give you basically what you have in one afternoon but there would be no problem with the width. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/1955-chevy-brakes I'm not posting this for you, yours is done and you will make it work but for someone in the future searching frame clipping on the forum it may save them some headache to just get the disc brake kit.

Brian

#19 ·
Kinda of an old thread... but you use "narrowed/shorter" control arms from Fatman or Heidts (may be others also) for the camaro sub.

The Nova/Camaro/Firebird/etc subframe tread width also depends on whether you are quoting a disc brake car or drum brake car.

You can also use a narrowed disc brake kit from ECI: (scroll to bottom of linked page). Using both the narrowed control arms along with the narrow disc brake kit.

ECI Disc Brake Conversion Kits - Early Chevy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.