Camaro Tire Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 10:53 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Camaro Tire Question

Hi, I have a '68 Camaro that I am gradually getting going after a long stay in my garage...and I have a question about tires. It currently has old ProTrac G60's on the rear, which need replacement. Rims are American Racing Torq Thrust R's (8.5" x 15"...1 1/4" positive offset) . I talked to the online guy @ Coker Tire & apparently that size is no longer made. He suggested ProTrac 235/60b 15's...which are 27 inches outside dia. & have a 8.5" tread. This is almost identical, but about 1 1/2" larger dia. than the old ones & is going to be a bit tight on the wheelwells. I do have OEM multi leaf's (uninstalled) to replace the monoleafs that are in there now...and jacking up the back a bit is possible. My question is does anyone have any other suggestions for a tire? It'll be a geezer-driven street car, mild hop-up SBC, 4 spd. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2006, 11:34 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The "old" G60 designation is the same as a 235/60. The math works out to 26.1 inches tall with the metric tire. If you want a little shorter tire a 245/50 would fit fine and they are about 24.6 inches tall.
Mark
Old 01-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

We used to run around with G60s or even the larger L60s on Camaros back in the early 70s.......Tire rubbing on the fender lip was usually a problem.....Fixed that with airshocks....NOT recommmended. The stiffer multileaf springs should help quite a bit. You probably wont have a problem untill you put a couple of people in the back seat......

By the way, Who picked your screen name.....the wife?...............

Budget RVs
Old 01-13-2006, 02:26 PM

Any opinion on the B.F. Goodrich 235/60R 15 T/A? It doesn't look too obnoxious,.. I like the raised white lettering, and it's cheaper & easier to find than the ProTrac's.

Cool '62. There used to be a guy named Bill Williams who raced @ Fontana Drag City in the mid '60's in a '62 or '63 SD Pontiac. Amazing to see a car as big as a bus come off the line so hard. That guy loved to race...Mickey Thompson (track operator) was a bit of a showman & given enough car lengths, Bill would race ANYTHING, A/FX Mopars to fuelers!
Old 01-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly stupid impotent
Any opinion on the B.F. Goodrich 235/60R 15 T/A? It doesn't look too obnoxious,.. I like the raised white lettering, and it's cheaper & easier to find than the ProTrac's.

!

Lot's of people run them. T/As might be THE most popular tire in the muscle car world. I run them size 235.60 on rear, 215 on front, S speed rated having replaced my H rated tires.

The T/As lack a lot in the handling department. Wormy, squirmy, not stable on the road compared to the H speed rated performance tires that came off. Almost feels like too low pressure. I must keep 38+ in the rear or the rear is wishy washy.. My suspension is 100 % urethane front and rear with new shocks and there is that much difference in tires, yes. I guess if they never had H or V rated tires on their car, they don't know there is a difference. But half the $$$ price.

For my car the best launch traction is 26 psi rear, which is only for the strip, can't stand to drive it on the road with 26. Launch traction is average. They have been on there 4 years and I can tell the rubber is getting harder due to time. Rain traction is OK, but not outstanding.

Next time I will use a "performance" H rated, period.

Also worth noting. I have a rear tire problem. I think they might be defective since they wear out so fast.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:42 PM

Last photo:

Tires

L 60 15 on a 8.5 rim tire M/T INDY PROFILE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 082.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	9276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 083.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	9277  

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.