Camaro w/383 questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2004, 03:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Camaro w/383 questions

I've got two separate questions this time...

I've been reading the other posts and see where everyone recommends running a 180* thermostat. That's fine - but what temperature should you use for the sending unit if you are using an electric fan. I'm putting a 383 in an 88 camaro and want to use the stock electric fan. I've looked through Summit for the sending units to control the fan and I've seen two options - on at 180, off at 170; and on at 200, off at 190. Should the settings for the thermostat and sending unit be the same, or should they be staggered to come on at different times?

Second, and more important to me, I'm having problems with my transmission set up. My car came with a T5 Borg Warner 5 speed transmission that has been recently rebuilt and I was wanting to use it with my 383 setup. It's just going to be a weekend driver - not a drag strip car. My problem is the flywheel I got from a 400 Sb is too big to fit in the stock V8 bell housing (it uses an 11" pressure plate). I didn't find this out until we were ready to bolt everything together and drop the motor in the car - and now I don't know what to do. Budget is definitely an issue at this stage in the game, and I hate the thoughts of buying a $300+ Lakewood bell housing that I'm not sure would fit and attach it to a transmission that I've been told by several people that even with a rebuild kit, won't hold up very long under the pressure anyway. Thanks in advance for any help - I can't set the motor in until I get this issue resolved.

Jay

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2004, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

Jay,
I can only help with the cooling question. As far as the tranny the T5 won't live long behind the 383 if you beat on it but, on street tires you will more than likely smoke the tires before you break anything.

If you are going to run a 180* stat (which is what I would suggest), you need to run the fan sending unit that is on @ 200 and off @190 (out of the two choices you listed). The reason is if you get the off @ 170*, you fan will never turn off due to your stat not allowing the temp to drop below 180*.

Keep looking around they do make adjustable sensors (I know Vintage Air carries them), I just installed one on my car last night. It has a knob on it so you can adjust the temp at which the fan is activated. I can come up with a part number if you need it.

Royce
Old 05-15-2004, 05:31 PM

Check out www.thirdgen.org you will find alot of good info there on our cars . That site has saved me on more than one occassion.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

Vintage air adjustable fan thermostat switch part number is 24675-VUT. You can order it at Vintge Air (210)-654-7171

Royce
Old 05-17-2004, 08:33 AM

A reply on the T-5 tranny. First thing I did was update the shifter with the B&M shifter kit. I went through 2 trannies in 15k miles and gave up and put a turbo 350. If you shift the car normal the tranny will do fine, though what I noticed was shifting from 1st -2nd it sometimes won't go in until the RPM's got below 6 grand. Though it was sure fun having a manual tranny. I would keep an eye on ebay for a lakewood bell housing.

Mat
Old 05-17-2004, 01:32 PM

flywheel problem

I run a Vortec 383 in my slammed 78 Monte, the flywheel is a 21 lb 305 unit that i had balanced with the reciprocating/rotating assembly.

Any good machine shop should be able to balance any flywheel
that you present to them, using your old flywheel balance factor
for reference.
I had it done on a 454 once when i went from auto to standard
with a lightweight flywheel.

A word of advice, the 383 when built right pulls like a mule,
a good 3000 lb. after-market clutch is mandatory.
Otherwise you'ii find out like i did @ 3500 rpm and up with the 4 barrel wide open, the (stocker type) clutch makim big smoke.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.