the camaro wrapped around the telephone pole - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 07:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

the camaro wrapped around the telephone pole

there is no doubt this was a 1969 camaro,there wereonly 2 boys inside the car.the other 2 lived to tell the story because they got out before the
race started elsewhere.that car has sit on top of mostellers garage since i was a kid,i got to see it up close the very next day.my dad wanted me to see it to scare me from racing(didnt work)i remember being uplate one friday night,7/7/78 to be exact and saw it on the late news as a break in
clip.i only lived about 4 miles from the scene.yes it has seventies wheeels but it was a true 1969 camaro that had one mean smallblock in it.they removed the car in the last few days and buried it somewhere private.34 years have passed and everytime i pass the spot it happened i never forget about it. i know the people have posted that the boys were removed from the car. that is partially true. they could not get all of the remains outs because back then there were no jaws of life and also they
were squashed beyong recognition.unfortunately my dad knew how much i lover fast cars he made me go see it the next day and the local authorities were still trying to remove more remains than what they were able to retrieve,i saw it and it is forever embedded in my mind how bad it was.the car is gone now,but wish todays kids could still see it and believe how fast that this kind of stuff can happen. i think the family of these boys still post on here and i mean no disrespect to them by this post,but i saw what i saw.i later grew up to race that terrace for years but many times did i get goose bumps driving by that scene and now praise God i made it thru.those boys,im sorry if offend anyone,did not all get out of that car.there was no way,they did not cut it open and the roof was flush with the floor. if they got out they got out in pieces,thats common since and i saw the pieces and it scarred me as a young boy. sorry guys but im an old east ridge tn boy and i grew up there where the camaro crashed.i pray they knew the LORD. for the families of those boys,with the car being liad to rest wherever it may be,i hope and pray you finally after 34 years find peace. back then my mother drove a new red 1978 trans-am and my dad drove a wicked fast 1969 dodge charger that i dont think then
anything we raced could touch,but after that riding fast with someone else driving scares me,because of that camaro crash. its real,its true.east ridge tn,south terrace,intersection of belvoir rd and south terrace and was the 2nd pole before the on ramp to i-75.look forward to sharing more uplifting stories than this,but they just buried this car ofter the 34th anniversary of the crash,\;buried the whole car,what does that tell you.
they DID not get all of the boys bodies out. finally at rest.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This story has been going around for years. Do a search on Mostellers camaro.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:34 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
This story has been going around for years.
For YEARS. Below is what the story was about:

Old 07-10-2012, 07:14 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

still racing?

When I was 16 a neighbor picked me up about 7 am and said lets go for a ride. He was about 25, we had just put an olds drive train in a 36 coupe. A guy he knew was killed when racing a model A Coup that had a 289 stude V 8, the A was still on its side and blood around the area. , The kid was thrown from the car, My brother and I decided we needed seatbelts and a Roll bar. another friend raced an old dirt track coupe. He had a Military aircraft seat and full harness, He used to roll the old coupe over at the end of the race and land on his wheels. like the old fairgrounds shows that traveled around in the summers.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Seems strange to me that people are obsessed with car wrecks, death and blood and guts. Just an observation

Budget RVs
Old 07-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
For YEARS. Below is what the story was about:

That's not a Camaro is it? That fender and side marker look a lot more like a 69ish Chevelle.

Brian
Old 07-10-2012, 08:29 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

In the small town I was from in FL, the tradition was for the fatal or 'spectacular' car wrecks to be displayed for a few days out in front of the service station that towed it in. This station was on the highway that passed through town and intersected w/the avenue that marked the middle of town, so everyone saw these wrecks. It wasn't at all unusual to see cars pulled over and whole families out inspecting the wreckage. Also not unusual to see the parental types speaking/gesturing to the young'uns as if to say "see what happens when you disobey your parents!!"
Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Seems strange to me that people are obsessed with car wrecks, death and blood and guts. Just an observation
Yep, sometimes we are fascinated in someone ELSES demise because it makes us feel stronger. I know seeing that car creeps me out because I had a friend of my brothers die in a 66ish Falcon by hitting a pole like that, split the car in two pieces, we are talking loaded on a flat bed truck in two pieces with a fork lift! I watched the two guys drive away that night, then got the news in the morning that one was dead and the other critical.

Sad stuff, but it makes us feel stronger because we are survivors.

Brian
Old 07-10-2012, 02:14 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
That's not a Camaro is it? That fender and side marker look a lot more like a 69ish Chevelle.

Brian
I see leaf springs on the rear axle, so it looks like '69 base model Camaro to me... based off the side marker light with no engine identifying emblem.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

Oh yeah, duhleaf springs. And now I see a faint bodyline leading off the upper portion of the wheel opening as a 69 Camaro has.

Wow, that sucker is amazing. The thing I have to wonder is was the driver thrown from it? because if he was in the drivers seat when this collision happen he is still in there!

Brian
Old 07-10-2012, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

I just did a quick google and found an amazing discussion about this incident along with an eye witiness posting his thoughts!

Chattanooga Message Forum - Mosteller's camaro

Brian
Old 07-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,093 Posts
As you know I am a Chattanooga boy. I am pretty sure it was a 69 Camaro.

John L.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
As you know I am a Chattanooga boy. I am pretty sure it was a 69 Camaro.

John L.
If you go to the link I proved there is a post from a guy who was there when it happened and he posted a number more photos and it was without a doubt a 69 Camara. Whether it was a real Z/28, I don't know. Maybe there are some real Camaro guys who could tell by looking at it. Come to think of it, it has multi leaf rear springs! That means it was either a good fake or at the very least a high horse car like a 396 or it WAS a Z.

Brian
Old 07-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,093 Posts
I suspect that as new as the car was at the time, there were very few clones. More than likely it was the real thing.

John L
Old 07-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Banned User

Last photo:

1) i think statistically more people, especially males under 25, have perished in chevy camaros more than any other car period. (insurance statistics, i think)

a) I am in no-way condemning the persons discussed in this particular instance----they are not here to defend themselves and have already paid the ultimate price. But i do want to state that this kind of thing is why males under 25 pay the most for insurance.

2) It does not make me, personally, feel stronger; If anything it makes me feel weaker because this show that you can die anywhere, anytime.

3) Would a full frame car fare better in an exact same crash?

a) in general?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.