Hot Rod Forum banner

camaro z 28 tranny shifting problems

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  chevcamz28newbie 
#1 · (Edited)
1987 camaro z-28 350, 5.7 TPI 700r4 tranny, i couldent get it to shift the other day when i posted, i checked the governer gear , it looked good, the throttle cable i checked, its good , the fluids are all in good condition, i read on a camaro 700r4 tranny sight that the throttle ball or something like that could be stuck and i tried that earlier i got the car up about 25 mph, let off the gas , then punched it hard 6 or 8 times, anyways it shifted to second after playing with the gas pedal and the shifter while going down the road, so i took it back home and took off the throttle cable and pulled it pretty good about 6 or 7 times, got someone to follow me out onto a longer road then where ive been testing in my neighborhood, the car took off and got up to about 25-30 mph, i again played with the gas pedal and shifter some and finally it shifted , when it was time for it to shift to third it wouldent so i got off it and punched it hard a couple or so times and played with the shifter some more, got on it pretty good and then let back off, got on it again in about 6 or 7 seconds and then it shifted to third, i got it up to 65 or 70 and the rpms were way up there and it wasent shifting to fourth, i tried and started the whole process a couple time but never could get it to shift to fourth and like said before had trouble and had to play with the gas and shifter alot to get it to shift but never got it to fourth. Also when i got it to third , i slowed down to turn about 5 mph and when i went to take off the car was still stuck in third, that happened twice and i downshifted to first and then back to drive and it shifted out ok the second time back to second and third gear .Ive adjusted the throttle, detent cables, all fluids are good , ive checked the governer gear, it was good, checked the vacuum lines after i got a diagram they are ok , dont know what could be causing the problem? does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this, im stumped.

See less See more
#2 ·
did you use a pressure gauge to set the TV cable.I seen a very good artical in the knowledge base the other day that took you to a web site that had how much pressure each gear should have.IF you can find it it should be very usefull.Also i believe you said before in one of your post that it was already slow to shift out of first.Might be a problem that you already had in the tranny
and now its showing its ugly head.

#3 ·
Yep it did shift a little bit slow but not this bad ...we parked it for a while, changed the water pump, the belts, the computer , oil, oil filter, fuel pump and filter , two transmission to cooler lines that were starting to go bad because of being left on the muffler and not tied up, we put new ones , tied them up, you can stomp the gas pedal in any of the gears it wont go into overdrive, i actually got it to go into overdrive out of second once , also we checked shift linkage to make sure that checked out that was also ok....

#4 ·
It sounds alot like theTV cable is out of adjustment. I know you said that you checked it, but when you said that you can get it to shift by playing with the gas pedal, it makes me think TV cable. There is a product called TransX that I have used in the past with good sucess. Might be worth a look.

#5 ·
Hey , my dad said something about trying trans x too, how is that in comparison to the lucas transmission fix? also do you think its worth dropping the tranny oil pan and changing the filter because im not sure when it was changed last but when i got the car the transmission bas bone dry after i got it off the trailer. I have a couple of aunts that live in bossier city by the way!

#6 ·
I have never tried the Lucas treatment, so I wouldn't know much about it. I have used TransX treatment on transmissions that I was almost certain were shot. It fixed them right up usually took a couple of days though.
It couldn't hurt at all to change the filter. It''s a cheap job that that probably needs to be done anyway, even if it doesn't correct the problem. I would change the filter before I tried the TransX.

#8 ·
I never recommend using any product that is added to the trans fluid to correct a problem. They make a real mess for the one that is going to have to rebuild what you have left of the trans, after using that stuff. No additive of any kind or any manufacturer, is going to correct the problems that you have, but could cause more problems by causing the valves to stick.

#9 ·
Transmission filter, fluid changed and fresh, car started to shift a little easier but still not shifting just right is taking longer than normal to shift and i have to play with the shifter a little , also when i get it up in 3rd to about 50-55 mph it whines out and goes out of gear alltogether i have to slow down and pull the shifter down to first or second gear to get it to go back into gear ......not sure what thats all about

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.