Camel Back Heads - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2006, 06:26 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ok, the reason that the "camel hump" heads will slow the car down is because they are large chamber heads. (usually found from pre 86 small blocks) and the heads on the 305 are small chamber heads (more compression).
now im not positive on this, but i believe that the biggest reason why the headers wont fit is because bolt pattern for the exhaust is different on the late (86-up) heads.
now, as far as the manifolds r concerned, what about a set out of a similar gm car with a 305 of that year? have u tried that? i dont know what differences that there are in all the cars, but maybe try a caddy fleetwood that came with a chevy drivetrain (itll have a 350 engine?700r4 trans), or a buick roadmaster, or how about a monte carlo?
it has anything to do with it being a late model engine, then for that matter, any 86-up small block v-8 will mate up, but depending on what car, the bottom of the manifolds may not reach the exhaust pipe flanges. (but a good exhaust shop can fix that by adding some new tubing from the catalitic converter to the manifolds. gl

Advertisement

Last edited by tnsmith10; 03-23-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2006, 08:37 PM

headers

you need to call schoenfeld headers i have a set of camel back heads on my stockcar and the headers i use are calledchevy chassis headers and they work just fine but the law does not like them
Old 03-23-2006, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
The 267's and 305's had the rear bolt hole in the Pass. side exhaust manifold farther back than the std. small block pattern and it wasn't just the '87s, a LOT of them were that way and I have no idea why but the bolt hole for the regular manifolds was still there in the head so any small block headers or exhaust manifolds will bolt up to the 305 heads. Find manifolds for a '78-'88 Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, LeMans, etc. with a Chevy 267 or 305. I believe manifolds from a '76 up 305 Camaro will work too. If you can't find any you're not looking hard enough...........
and i have a set of factory exhaust manifolds off of my 79 305 for sale.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I had a similar problem. Ever notice that two of the SBC exhaust gaskets in the sets have three holes? That's for the goofy heads they put on 305s and maybe others. As stated, the driver's side will bolt up, but the passenger side (#7) has the bolt hole farther back. I got by with just one bolt there for a while, but if your manifold is warped at all you'll have a leak.

My solution was to get rid of the 305 and its manifolds.

Lonestar...good to see you back.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:39 AM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI2600
I had a similar problem. Ever notice that two of the SBC exhaust gaskets in the sets have three holes? That's for the goofy heads they put on 305s and maybe others. As stated, the driver's side will bolt up, but the passenger side (#7) has the bolt hole farther back. I got by with just one bolt there for a while, but if your manifold is warped at all you'll have a leak.

My solution was to get rid of the 305 and its manifolds.

Lonestar...good to see you back.
Now that you mention it, i seem to recall something goofy about those heads...I never mess with them myself.

I still find it hard to believe that with the mass amount of those engines produced, a set of manifolds would be that difficult to find.

MI2600, I agree with your solution entirley, scrap the 305 but that not work in this case, so I think maybe an online used parts locator would be a good bet if they really cannot find anything locally.

By the way, I'm not exactly back...I just managed to get a few days reprieve from work. I hope to be actually able to be around this summer.

NOTE: A few posts back I mentioned '83 Monte Carlo...I meant '87
Old 03-24-2006, 08:16 AM

Last photo:

If my memory is working correctly the "Camel Back Heads" aka double hump, were made during the mid-late 60's early 70's. These heads came in several compression ratio's and a couple of valve sizes. All of these heads, like all Chevy heads prior to about 1984 are famous for having valve and valve guide problems.

If the heads you are trying to use have not had new valves/seats and valve guides, then they are only good for a door stop. These heads are also most likely not drilled for the attachment of the engine accessories.

The problems you are having with the manifold is also a mystery. I have a 2002 Chevy 350 CID 330 HP Vortec with 1964 Chevy 2-1/2" Ram Horn manifolds in my 39 Plym, everything bolted up like it was meant to be.

I think someone has given you some bad info. Rather than try to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear by trying to modify the 305 with a bunch of early junk I would suggest that you go buy a GM crate motor with the maximum HP you can afford, stick the thing in using the stock manifolds and drive on.

The fact of the matter about headers is that they are meant to be run as OPEN EXHAUST on race cars, they do nothing for daily drivers except give a person bragging rights....Bill
Old 03-24-2006, 08:37 AM
No officer I won’t do it again

Last photo:

Ok ok, this thread was driving me nuts for some reason,(of course that isn’t a long drive for me). to set this all straight. I went down to my junk shed and took pics of two different 305 engines (what’s left of the rusty boat anchors) and one of a set of 350 heads next to 350 head to show the differences. I also set two different sets of headers on them and the holes line up perfectly. I knew I had run into this before I don’t know what he is trying to do. But headers will defiantly bolt up to his heads because both of the holes are threaded and will except both still manifolds. hope this helps guys ……..Twist ( like the wasp nest, damn things)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0819.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	11135   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0820.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	11136   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0821.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	11137   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0822.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	11138  
Old 03-24-2006, 08:39 AM

Last photo:

Here is the rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0823.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	11139   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0825.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	11140   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0827.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	11141  
Old 03-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I think she's saying they can't install headers becuase they have to have the emissions stuff. Therefore, they have to use manifolds. Problem is, finding a manifold that will bolt up. I would use any manifold from a 305 or 350. Both bolt holes will be in the heads. I would go to the salvage yard and ask to wander around looking for what you need. When you find something either pull it your self or telll them to.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:36 AM

Is that weird bolt pattern only on 305 heads, or is it found on 350's as well?
Old 03-24-2006, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I think she's saying they can't install headers because they have to have the emissions stuff. Therefore, they have to use manifolds. Problem is, finding a manifold that will bolt up. I would use any manifold from a 305 or 350. Both boltholes will be in the heads. I would go to the salvage yard and ask to wander around looking for what you need. When you find something either pull it your self or tell them to.
Yea that could very well be. I am so glad that we don’t have to deal with that around here. They tried testing here in MN for a while and dropped it.

Quote:

I have to take that statement back. It is a 305 head lying there. So I don’t know if the 350 came that way. Sorry

Last edited by Twistedwrench; 03-24-2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85CHEVY
The weird bolt patern is on the RH exhaust manifold not the head. The 267 and 305 heads with the odd manifold also had the bolt hole for the standard arrangement. I have seen a 350 in an '86 3/4 Ton PU with both bolt holes in the heads but it may have been a crate motor.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

I saw one 305, not sure what year, put into a firebird. The heads had some weird bolt pattern, and the guy had to buy an adapter plate to put normal manifolds on. He doesn't live around here anymore, so I can't get any more info on them, though.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:35 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

You do not need camel back heads to put headers on your car. It's the exhaust manifold that is different not the heads. ALL SBC heads from about 1978 on up had the extra bolt hole on the exhaust side.

tom
Old 03-24-2006, 06:37 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Actually, what size valves are in the camel backs? 2.02's won't work on a 305...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.