camel hump heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2003, 09:32 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post camel hump heads

When did they stop making camel hump heads. I was told in 1969.Did most 283 and 327 come with this heads because all the 350. I have 76cc heads but I have 2 350's that came factory with camel heads. 64cc heads are called 300 and 375 horse power heads. What are 76cc i have a moter had 255 horse of a 69 camaro what are It horse power . Will it give horse power to a factory 165 power 350 how much.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

461's are the original double hump "Fuelie" heads (no accessory bolt holes.) 186's are real similar but it's a lot more risky to cut 'em for big springs and valves.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:53 AM
v8s10.org

Last photo:

291, 461, 461 and 462s are ak camel hump heads.
They weren't ever put on 283s that i know of because they are for a 4" bore.

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: V8 S-10 ]</p>
Old 03-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Remember the old 283 power paks that were so popular on 327 engines?

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: johnsongrass1 ]</p>
Old 10-10-2003, 02:57 PM

Camel Hump Heads

Long ago, and I mean long ago, I knew all this stuff by memory. I believe the first camel hump head was on the 250HP or 275HP 327. Those heads had the 1.94 intakes. The 2.02's must have been on the 350HP or 365HP, and of course the Fuelies. I used to read Popular Hot Rod religiously and they had a project called Project X, a '57 Chevy. They had THE history of the Chevy small block head. The evolution from the old 265CU.IN. heads, the power pak and on. I worked in junk yards from time to time as a young man and always came across these "junk heads". If only I had known! Well, I'll get off. I enjoy this page. Please correct me and help my memory on any subject concerning Chevy small blocks especially the earlier ones.

Stove Bolts Forever!
Rene Melendez

To johnsongrass1,

I was glad to hear from someone who mentioned the Power Pak head. Please tell me if you can, about the changes from the 265 and earlier 283 heads to the Power Paks. Seems like the smaller camel humps were about the same except for valve sizes. Don't know anymore.

Thanks
Rene Melendez

Last edited by melendr; 10-10-2003 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

The power pack heads were the early HP Chevy heads. They had 1.72 intake and 1.50 exhausts, with something like 58cc chambers. I've been told they didn't breath well, compared to the later camelbacks. As noted above, the draw back to camelbacks is the lack of bolt holes which are required for a/c, ps, etc. When the bolt holes were added, Chevy also moved the alternator to the passenger side.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:52 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

If I recall correctly, the power pak heads had 137cc intake runners, the rest of the info given by MI2600 is correct. the camel humps had 160cc intake runners except the X castings which had slightly bigger intake runners. according to the info I have they stopped using the camel humps in 1970, when the emission crunch hit big and the horsepower wars came to a end in smoldering ruins. the late 60`s 350`s came with camel humps depending on the application, the 290 horse 350 in the camaro`s of those years had camel humps. the 041 casting which is identical to camal humps also came on 350`s.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:01 PM
High Octane

Last photo:

I've got a set of 461's 2.02/1.60 that I ran on a 355sbc in a full bodied '66 Chevelle running 7.80's in the 1/8th.
Even thought the technology is considered 'old' by today's standards, they are an awesome set of heads.
I don't know much about any of the other casting numbers, but if you have a set I would certainly use them before I dropped the cash on a set of aftermarket heads.

James
Old 10-26-2003, 02:32 PM

Power Pak Heads

To All,

Haven't been on in so long, forgot the password. Got it on the second try.

Just wanted to thank you all for the responses to my questions on the Power Pak heads. Also thanks for the info on the camel hump heads.

I have still another question or or two on some old Chevy facts.
Remember the old "W" engine or "web foot" engine as it was called? The 348/409 cu.in. motor? It seems that there was a way to tell besides popping the hood if a '59-'61 Chevy car was powered with a 348' motor or not. My experience was that every
car that had the big racing flags on the rear deck lid, front lid, or in the grill emblem had a 348" in it. Coincidence anybody? I wonder because a friend of mine who restores these cars says the flags meant a V-8 powered car. Yet there were many that were that didn't have those flags, Biscaynes, Del Rays just to mention two. Also, I believe the convention back then was that V-8 powered Impalas only had any flags at all on them. Would appreciate an answer from anyone. Does anyone out there have any first hand knowledge about '62 Chevy ragtops? Would like to know such things as the options in those cars.

Also would like to caution nostalgia buffs especially those that are in to the various publications out on the subject (Chevy Engines). I have found incorrect information in them. The best way to really know is to talk to the ones who were around back then and were into it deeply. They know the info because they had to know it in order to restore or build cars powered by those engines. They went down to their local Chevy parts house, and just that act alone told them"" everything they always wanted to know but were afraid to ask."" They know because they knew history was in the making. A typical hobbyist back then paid close attention to details, even insignificant ones. Trusted publications are by General Motors, their former employees, and the old racing veterans from back then.

Thanks to all for keeping the legendary Chevy alive!

Good luck All
Rene Melendez
Old 10-26-2003, 03:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The very first "camel hump heads" were actually used in very limited quantities on the highest horsepower corvette fuelie 283s. The first production of the "fuelie" head was 1960, and the 327 did not exist at that time as a production engine. The 461X head was produced from 1960 to 1963 and was used on the very high performance Corvette 283s (1.94-1.50 valves) , the 327-300 (1.94, 1.50 valves), and the 327-340 horse, 327-365 horse and 327-375 horse engines used the 2.02 and 1.60 valves.
The standard 461 head used from 64 to 66 had 10 CC smaller intake runners than the 461X head.
In 67, the combustion chamber was changed on the double hump head, and a quench area was added above the spark plug. These are the 462 and 291 head. This combustion chamber design was used in all of the double hump heads including the 291, 462, 186, 041 and 492. After 1970, all of the production engines used the larger smog friendly, lower compression open chamber type heads. All of the early, performance closed chamber heads are decent performers, but are tough to find in good shape.
As a side note, the only double hump heads with accessory bolt holes are the 041, 186 and 492. Of course there is the 292 "Turbo" head which is the very first over the counter racing head from chevrolet, but it was not a regular production offering.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:26 PM
'70 Chevelle '70 C10

Last photo:

I posted some pics on my site about camel humps. check it out

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.