Camino-$100.00 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2006, 02:48 PM
User

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Camino-$100.00

I bought a '69 327 El Camino for $100.00 a few months ago, I went to pick it up today. Its sat in a Garage in the dry for about 20+ years. But still has some pretty severe (common) rust. Both quarters are eat up to about the belt-line of the car, the bed has a few spots, and the floors are gone. The front sheetmetal and roof are pretty good, but there is some pitted rust around the glass, and a few dents in the roof.

It came with a replacement door and tailgate from another Elky, and the lady has another 3 El Caminos in another garage, I offered to buy some parts from her, off of a '69 307 Car, but she wanted to sell the whole thing, I needed two-headlight buckets, that cars headliner (Can I take it out, and put it in mine?) and that cars mirrors and window trim. My fenders have a little rust on them, so I might change that out if I have to buy the whole thing. I don't know what she wants for it, she has some guy pricing it for her, and he just slaps really high prices on everything, but I'm hoping its in the 100's. I also dug up a drive-shaft in a 70' El Camino (New, in the box), and two quarter-panels for the car.

There was no motor in this car, and no rear-end, I have another '69 which is donating its 12-bolt to this car, and my work-truck is donating its 350/350 to the project too.

Would I be better off to find a straighter El Camino though? I'm not looking to be numbers matching or anything, but I don't want to throw too much money into the car, and pretty much all of them have no quarters. I have some left-over paint too.

Or should I just invest this money in something else?

-GF

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Check out the other 3 Caminos..........You are best to start with as little rust as possible. You may end up paying a bit more, but will be a lot happier in the long run.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:58 PM
autoglass master tech

Last photo:

You also need to check the frame where it starts to kick up to go over the axle. They tend to rust there as well.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Pics man...we need some pics!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Truck
Last photo:

WOW, It hard to pass up a 100.00 car. Its not the rust it all about time and money. And if your up for restoring a classic.

Craig
Old 04-09-2006, 04:12 PM
User

Last photo:

I can get pictures later.

There is no rust on the frame, the 12-bolt car is now a uniframe/stretched wheelbase car, the frame rusted loose, and when we took it off the trailer the rear wheels were pushed back a foot from the wheel wells, the front half of the frame just fell off.

The 70' Elky is out of my price range, and has a leopard print interior and some other mods (Back window spray-painted black) that I don't like, so its out of the question.

The white 69' 307 has both quarters shot, no motor, tin-floors, and someone beat one side of the roof up with a hammer or something, its just a parts car (Nice convertible though?) It has no rear-end.

The other 307 Camino has some rust on the roof, no motor, and no quarters, its pretty rusty and is a 71', and I'm not much for wanting "classics" but if I had the choice between a 71' and a '69, I'd go with the 69'.

My car needs some work, but It actually looks good. I'm going to get the two-panels from the building, and the parts from the other car (Which I might re-sell to put some costs away) I have a 72' Cutlass which is donating its bucket-seats, and there is a El Camino console in the building my car came from, so I may have a bucket-seat/column shifter car.

I need both sides of the floor, but not the transmission tunnel, so I'm trying to dig those up. If I can transfer headliners pretty easy, then that should help keep prices down, I'm thinking about re-using some surplus carpet that we ordered for out CJ5 a few years ago, its brown, but I can paint/dye it pretty easy. I might make my own door panels from 2-layers of cardboard and some black/grey fabric. I'll just punch holes were I need to and live with it. It dosn't have to be perfect. It has all the glass also, so I don't need anything there either.

The motor is not getting rebuilt, it runs pretty good, I might change the oil and clean it up a little bit, but Its pretty good as it is, do I need a 9-inch tailshaft though? I don't know if the truck on will work.

If it all works out, I should have it put together in a few months.

-GF

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.