Hot Rod Forum banner

Camshaft choice?

896 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  stroker_SS 
#1 ·
Hello I'm new here and have alot of questions I have a 1970 four bolt 350 that has been bored 40 over with flat top four eye releif pistons and I'm running the 1.94 heads that came stock it is a truck 350 my question is without any work done to the valve springs and using a edelbrock air gap intake and edelbrock 650 Carb what cam would be suitable it is going in a1984 z28 camaro 5speed and 3.73 gears any comments or suggestions please.

#6 ·
If you do swap transmissions and you use the car for freeway driving much you are going to want a trans with an OD gear. I had a TH350 in my 84 camaro with 3.23's and 26" tires and it was no fun on the freeway.

Depending on how you drive, you can get away with putting *some* power through a stock T5. One of the Members on TGO has been running a GM deluxe crate 350 that makes ~330lb/ft or better tq through a t5 for a few years now. I also met a guy that runs a 454 through a stock camaro t5 in his ratrod, he said he abuses the crap out of it and it hasn't let him down.

Don't do anything to shock the transmission like sidestepping the clutch or power shifting and it could live a long happy life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.