camshaft question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 04:09 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

camshaft question

I am rebuilding a chevy 350 out of a 1993 K1500. The cylinder heads are the 193's I believe they are called Swirl Port Heads but correct me if I am wrong. I am curious about the camshaft. The machine shop sold me a stock camshaft and he told me that is all he would sell me due to computer problems with the tbi. I am curious if I can bump up the cam a little without any problems and if I can what cam. I am not looking for anything wild. I am looking for something that I can haul my 3500 lb camper with and not have to many problems with it. I want something with decent mileage but I don't need something that will roast the tires all day long or something that will do a quarter mile in two seconds. I am just curious about bumping up the cam to benefit myself and maybe compliment the rest of the engine a little better, or should I just stay with the stock cam. The stock cam according to my Hayes manuel is .2565 intake and .2690 exhaust. Rear gears are 3.73 with 33" tires. Thank you

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 04:17 PM

Last photo:

You can go to what everybody markets as an "RV" cam and have no problems with electronics. Better gas mileage and pulling power.. I usually spec one on my "stock pickup truck" rebuilds. Along with better timing set and M55A oil pump.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

so what would be classed as an "RV" cam?
Old 06-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

here is one that is specificly made for you engine, and although i dont like comp very much this doesn't seem like a bad cam at all and all their other 87-98' 305-350 hyd roller TBI cams mentioned having the computer modified but this one didn't so i would say that this one should be able to just about go right in without any hasle

http://www.competitionproducts.com/C...o/CCA08-501-8/

here is one from crane but it wont be too much better than the stock one, but it would help a little, and you could probably get away with putting 1.6 rockers on it since the lift is so low to raise up the lift at the valve a bit, in my opinion this cam would need that.

http://cranecams.com/pdf/Page134.pdf

these are just a couple that i found in a few minutes of looking, the problem is that not that many cam companies make computer compatible cams that you wont have to reflash the computer for, these two claim to be able to be used with the stock flashing on the computer.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

how about something like this. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-3702/
Old 06-05-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
how about something like this. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-3702/

that is a hydraulic flat tappet cam, you need a hydraulic roller cam, beacuse in 93' no engine chevy produced still used a flat-tappet cam they were all rollers. i know that a roller cost a bit more but it would be just plan stupid to go to a flat tappet to a roller especially with the low content of zinc and phosferous that engine oils today have in them. besides with the engine you have now you likely wouldn't have to change your roller lifter if you just changed the roller cam as these are hardley ever worn out. but if you change to a f/t cam you will have to not only by the cam but the lifters as well.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

I don't understand the last post because the engine had a hydraulic flat tappet cam in it and does not even have the provisions to be a roller block. It does not have the holes for the cam plate or the bosses for the spider for the lifters. My cousin rebuilt the engine in his 95 K1500 and it had the provisions to be a roller block but it ran a flat tappet cam. I also have a sbc 383 that is a block out of a 95 K1500 that ran a flat tappet cam but has the provisions to be a roller block and now it has a hydraulic roller cam installed in it. If the block had the provisions to be a roller block I would run a roller cam because I have a pile of 4.3 liters sitting around that I could rob the lifters out of.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
I don't understand the last post because the engine had a hydraulic flat tappet cam in it and does not even have the provisions to be a roller block.
Not ALL blocks '87-up are provisioned for a roller, I have a c/n 10054727 block that is like yours, there are also 14079287, 14088548, and 14101148 that don't have the provisions.

Be careful what you do, cam-wise. The vacuum is a big part of what the ECM uses to determine how to "tune" the engine, so don't go overboard.

I'd suggest you check out the Chevy-specific boards for TBI engines, they go into this a lot. Like www.thirdgen.org, www.nastyz28.com, www.tbichips.com, etc.

Good luck.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I don't understand the last post because the engine had a hydraulic flat tappet cam in it and does not even have the provisions to be a roller block. It does not have the holes for the cam plate or the bosses for the spider for the lifters. My cousin rebuilt the engine in his 95 K1500 and it had the provisions to be a roller block but it ran a flat tappet cam. I also have a sbc 383 that is a block out of a 95 K1500 that ran a flat tappet cam but has the provisions to be a roller block and now it has a hydraulic roller cam installed in it. If the block had the provisions to be a roller block I would run a roller cam because I have a pile of 4.3 liters sitting around that I could rob the lifters out of.

well dag-on, sorry about that, i knew that chevy started making the roller blocks in 87' and i knew that they still used flat tappet cams for a few years but i didin't think they were still using them in 93'. but i did think that all the blocks after 87' had the provisions for the roller. again sorry about that. well i did look at the cam that you listed and it doesn't look too agressive. would you be willing to have the computer reprogramed, if so this would make you options a hole lot easier
Old 06-06-2010, 05:26 PM

Last photo:

the computer programming is plausible, I just want something that is going to give me more grunt and maybe a little more mileage. This is a daily driver and nothing else. More of a recreational vehicle driven on the weekends and towing in the summer. Is the stock cam bad? Is there a different cam that could be used and be happier all around with it, or is the stock cam the best over all option?
Old 06-06-2010, 05:40 PM

this is just my opinion but anytime i have ever and in the future will ever rebuild and engine, i'm going to do it better than chevy did from the factory, especially with the 70's-90's engines. i just can deal with 180hp anymore, acutally i never could. i would see about having some minor work done to the heads, or using the top end off a 96-00' 5.7 vortec engine. i would use a little better than stock cam (as much i could get away with under my budget without having to change too much of the rest of the drivetrain) my goal with you enigne would be to geat atleast 275-300hp/335-360tq, this should still get decent gas mileage and still be very easy to drive on the street, and be great for towing a trailer around
Old 06-06-2010, 05:48 PM

Last photo:

the heads are staying for sure. so with the stock heads and an edelbrock performer multipoint conversion intake what would be the cam of choice, no holds barred here guys, I am looking for suggestions on a cam, Sorry I forgot to mention earlier that the engine in the truck is setup with the Edlebrock Multipoint conversion, so it already has a custom chip in it to make the multipoint function correctly, So it wouldn't be a big thing to get a new chip for it.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:51 PM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-12-388-4/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-12-249-4/

again i dont like comp all that much but that is just a personal preference, but the original cam you cam up with i think was too close to a stock cam and i dont think you really would have been happy with the outcome of it, so these two cams give you a tad more duration and lift, but they dont have too much duration that it would require you to change valve springs, stall, and gears. i think you would end up being very happy with these cams
Old 06-06-2010, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

If Old Bogie or TechInspector would have any insight on this it would be nice. I know it is the average guy looking for a camshaft for a perfect engine. I talked to tech about this in another post of mine and after talking to him I bought a few books and have read a lot of stuff on camshafts but I am still lost when it comes to selecting a cam.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:55 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,063 Times in 882 Posts
Quote:
If Old Bogie or TechInspector would have any insight on this it would be nice. I know it is the average guy looking for a camshaft for a perfect engine. I talked to tech about this in another post of mine and after talking to him I bought a few books and have read a lot of stuff on camshafts but I am still lost when it comes to selecting a cam.
First thing I would want to know is.....what's the cam timing that's in it now?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.