Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Camshaft ??'s. . first post
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 02:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Camshaft ??'s. . first post

Hey guys, thanks for looking in.

I'm a newbie so I hope I'm doing this correctly.

Ok, I got a '77 Firebird with a sbc. Installing a 355 that I bought complete, non fired. Heres the list:

355 0010 block, 4 bolt main
TRW Flat Tops (not sure of deck clearances or anything)
Moly Rings
Forgot name, but good bearings (after research) etc.
Double Hump heads off the corvette (had to install acc. bolt holes)
completely redone, new springs, retainers etc.
Crane 272 cam with .454 int / exh.

The car will have either 3.73 or 4.56 gears and a stall convertor.

The problem is, I can't get a hold of anyone who knows enough on this motor to find out exactly what springs are on this engine. I'd like to go with the Lunati Voodoo 268 hyd. But that lift on those cams are pushy.

3 guys I talked to said the engine builder tried to push a bigger cam to the customer. (customer traded off engine before firing for a BBC, this is how I got it) The guys all said it should handle it because the castings on the heads were the only original pieces on them. Said studs, springs, retainers EVERYTHING was replaced, they just don't know stats on springs. The motor is sitting in front of the car, on the pallet with a cherry picker waiting.

What should I do? I'd like to have a very stout car again, and I figure the 272 Crane isn't going to satisfy.

I know logicly, have the springs tested. But what if I can't? Only 2 guys I trust with my engines are busy and talked like they can't get to it before I need engine in the car.

I'm just stuck and need reassurance of what I NEED to do. Leave it alone and drive it? Or try to get what I truly want?

My first old school hot rod (old school to ME lol) in a few years, so I'm just unedgy.

Sorry for long post and thanks for looking. ANY info or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dewayne