camshafts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2004, 10:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

camshafts

Hey guys. I would have to say that competition cams hands down have the best grinds on the market today. Isky, crane, erson, lunati, and others are falling way behind because they are still using 30 year old grinds. There is only one problem with comp, though. Lately my self and fellow racers have had problems with their hydraulic and solid flat tappets (chevrolet, ford and chrysler). Their cams seem to be going flat with the recomended spring pressure and no matter what style lifter is being used. What I do myself now is if I want a comp grind, I just call Howards cams, ultradyne, or Cam motion and tell them the specs of the grind i want. Even with the custom ground cam, they are still cheaper then comp.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2004, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

I have heard of other people saying they are losing lobes on comp cams. I dont have any experience with them but I do have 6 lifters not spinning and worn so they wont spin now so a new cam is in my future. I was looking at the comp cams as I like some of the specs they advertise. I would like to hear others comments on the different makers of cams.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:17 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

camshafts

I personnaly prefer Crane cams. The break in lube is even better. Any Chevy small block will love the 302 Energizer with .500 lift and 302 duration. It has a 106 deg centerline for those who like the lumpy idle.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

When I disassembled my turbo engine for bearing failure the comp cams nitrous grind was going flat. And for no reason. I checked everything. It was strange to start to see the wear before it was noticable by lifter wear. The lifters were still in perfect condition, but the peaks of the cam lobes were wearing off in a smooth almost normal looking wear pattern. It was very clear that the cam was just too soft.

I called them and they said just send it in and they would look at it. I would be willing to bet that a new one will show up at my door in the next few weeks. At that time I will promptly put it on ebay since I will never run any of their junk again. That is the third comp cam I have lost and it is clear to me that they know nothing about QC in their manufacturing

Chris
Old 12-26-2004, 12:10 PM
489 Lemans

Last photo:

cam break in

When starting a new motor, if you do not use proper cam break in procedure you will have premature cam failure. The engine must be run over 2500 rpm for a minimum of 10 minutes so the lifters will rotate on the cam. Failing to do this will cause the cam to dig a hole in the bottom of the lifter, stop rotation, and wear the cam lobe off. This procedure is not necessary with a roller.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:30 PM

oh no

I hope I'm OK.Now I'm a little worried. We broke in the cam correctly I believe, but I had never heard of any problems like this with comp cams. So far, I like my cam (it's an extreme energy 268/280) in my 427 big block. I've only got 5-10 hours on it. The idle is a little lumpy which I like and it has lots of low end and killer mid and upper end. I almost bought a retro-roller, but the cost seemed like an awful lot for a few more horsepower, and the specs on the rollers seemed like they were from another planet. Maybe if the lobes go, I'll try a roller next time. Is there any way to know if things are OK or not lobe-wise?
Old 12-26-2004, 01:45 PM
489 Lemans

Last photo:

cam shaft wear

As far as I know, and i'm hardly an expert, that visual inspection is the only way to tell. Unless you completely wipe out a lobe. That you will notice in performance and idle.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

I am fully aware of breakin procedures. It was not a breakin problem.

Chris
Old 12-27-2004, 04:54 PM
Never let them see you coming

Last photo:

Many comp cam users have switched to another brand here in Houston, due to lobe failures. One guy with a 496 bbc was told by a comp tech that his car sat too long between romps, not lubing the cam, and therefore caused the lobe failure. WHAT!?!?!?!?! Anyways, several others have even had lifter failures with the roller cams. We seem to think it is due to the radical ramp of the lobes of ther XE series, which gives the comp cams the advantage in power, but for longevity, they won't last.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

The machine shop that I have been using switched to crane from comp years ago as well. He told me this when I showed him this latest cam. He said the whole time he sold comp he had failures. With crane and the cheapos, he says they only have a few a year which are likely bad breakins.

Chris
Old 12-27-2004, 10:15 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

turbo you pretty much know yer stuff. there's been other posts as well on this. alot of them blamed the flat lobes on comp cams' red cam lube. i threw mine away and used somebody elses. you still have me worried now because i used not only a comp in my 'maro, but a xe grind to boot. please don't you guys jinx my car, i cant take another year like this one!
their red cam lube looks too much like assembly lube. although i have seen in magazines and even here, assembly lube recommended for cam lube, i have read from too many others only to use CAM lube and NOT comp cams' cam lube. as for the lifters, i dont think most cam mfgs make their own lifters, but i could be wrong (hell i probably am, i cant get nothin right)
Old 12-28-2004, 01:59 AM

Last photo:

Comp Cams vs the world

Ive owned on Comp Cams and ran it in a late model stock car with a 351C. It was the HE 280. It didnt last the season. That was my last over the counter cam for stock car racing. After that, i went to custom ground cams.
Most of my street engines have had Crane Cams in them.

As for assembly lube, I have used white lithium grease for 40 yrs.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Comp cams lube sucks!! I always throw that crap away and get a good moly paste.

Chris
Old 12-28-2004, 08:29 AM

Last photo:

The problem with cam failures in flat tappet applications is lifter related. EPA rules have changed so lifters are not parkarized anymore. Oil additives that prevented wear have been removed from oil. 2 Major tappet MFgs have quit making or gone out of business. The market now has foreign product coming in that is suspect.

I don't recommend flat tappet cams to anyone that can run a hyd roller. Long term you will be much better off.

Chris
Old 12-28-2004, 08:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Chris,

The cam that I just had start to go flat showed no wear on the lifters. I am curious how it is that they would cause the failure? I assume without the parkerizing, they are not hard enough to last?? The lifters I took off this cam showed nice round pattern were they were all still spinning properly. The rest of the cam lobe showed a thin wear surface along the rear side of the cam lobe, but not quiet to the rear edge.

Chris

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.