Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   camshafts for sbc (302,305,307,327) (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/camshafts-sbc-302-305-307-327-a-217041.html)

blackpanther68 03-21-2012 11:17 AM

camshafts for sbc (302,305,307,327)

2 Attachment(s)
hey i have a small block 307 and am thinking of swapping the cam. 4 a semi daily driver maybe 4 days out the week. i hear everyone using hyd flat tappet. would a mech flat tap or a hyd roller b out the question. i usually want 2 make weekend trips 2 the 2 racetracks in the area. and wouldnt have a problem adjusting valves or working but. .or should i just stick 2 a hyd flat tap. . i want 2 go howards cam or have something with a sick sound 2 it. anyone with a 302,305,307,327 should chime in n help.

im changing the heads to some 305 heads after i choose a cam. also have a dual plane and quadrajet 750. .

F-BIRD'88 03-21-2012 02:54 PM

If you want to rev it up beyond 6000 rpm (which a small cid sbc will really like) then there is a advantage to using a solid lifter cam. Flat tappet or roller.

Hydraulics are for the girlie-man

Cammed up 302-305's and 307's and 327's all like lots of rpm, lots of gear and a generous converter stall.

302's and 327's find a cam with the appropriate .050" duration based on desired rpm range , on a 108 to 112 LSA

The 305's and 307's with the smaller bore size tend to use a smaller 1.94" intake valve and will favour narrower 106-108 LSA's

either engine needs healthy compression ratio when cammed up.

A solid lifter cam really allows these engiens to rev and make good power.

Valve lash is easy to do and maintain. It is not nessessary to set the valves lash "hot". Just set it cold a bit tighter than the cam card hot lash spec.
Takes all the needless hassle and punishment out of it.
For street strip solid lifter cams I like the Isky Hi-rev stuff
and the Lunati "New" street strip solids.

Lots to choose from.

They all can and will "rev up" about the same. The valve train is the mechanical limit.
A roller cam is not going to be very cost effective for this build.
A good solid flat tappet cam will get 'er done just fine.

Getting the measured real compression ratio up to snuff is critical.
Improving the 305 cylinder heads with generous porting and larger 1.94" valves
will make your lil 307 rock.

Don;t be shy on the gears or torque converter stall. (automatic trans)
A 8" 9" race converter is not too much at all behind a 307.
4.56++ gears

blackpanther68 03-21-2012 04:44 PM

all the heads i see are about 1.72 intake and 1.50 exh. . is tht a good head 2 put on?? it has a 60cc.

Dannyringo 03-21-2012 06:48 PM

cam selection

Now that the price of gas is reaching $4.00 a gallon, do you really want a nasty cam loping under the hood with the 750 carb? How about this set up for your car. Lunati 60101LK cam and lifters .454/.468 lift @1.5 rocker ratio with 214/219 duration..Airgap intake with a 600 cfm carb and 1-5/8" headers with 2-1/4 pipes...Top them off with Summit Racing Vortec heads...The intake must have the Vortec pattern. Now for the good stuff. I just found the dyno results for Scoggin Dickey's Vortec heads and the Summit Racing/Dart vortec heads...I posted them here on this site titled Summit heads made by Dart...All the dyno results are there between the 2 heads....

Now everyone wants the baddest car for the street and wants to drive it on a daily basis, but trust this 58 yr old that has built a couple of motors...Smaller is better~! Especially when you have to buy 92 octane on a daily basis to and from where you go to..That is going to hit you in the wallet with a BIG CAM, BIG CARB and BIG RUPPITY RUPP idle....Look up on you tube for the Lunati 60101LK cam and you will find a 55 burgandy chevy touting this cam...Listen to it and read his stuff...I am on there asking questions before I committed to buying the cam, intake, heads and carb...I might be the current post on there...Good luck with your build and I know that when I was young, I wanted that RUPPITY-RUP sounding Camaro that I had...Only difference in 1975, gas was 70 cents a gallon and Octane was 113 ~! AT LEAST I CAN SAY, I LIVED IN A TIME WHEN DRAG RACING ON THE STREET WAS THE NORM WITH CHARGERS, STANGS, CAMARO'S AND EVERYTHING ELSE ON A FRIDAY NIGHT AT THE LOCAL BURGER JOINTS~!

blackpanther68 03-21-2012 06:51 PM

okay so i just just just found some 305HO heads 14014416#. 58cc 4 $50 .<<<<<< cam reccomendations now

Dannyringo 03-21-2012 07:01 PM

Cam

LUNATI 60101lk CAM...YOU WILL NOT BE OVERCAMMED WITH THOSE HEADS...ACTUALLY YOU WOULD BE FAR BETTER OFF WITH A PAIR OF 461, OR 462 HEADS...1.94/1.50 VALVES....BUT IF THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE THAN RUN THEM...IF YOU GO OVER .450 LIFT YOU'LL GET INTO TROUBLE WITH INTERFERENCE OF THE VALVE GUIDE ON THE HEADS... Cap locks were on , sorry bout that...little laptop computer with big fingers

blackpanther68 03-21-2012 07:15 PM

so the lift on this cam is 454/468 is that 2 much?? cuz tht cam defintely did sound pretty good. . ive been viewin alot of howard cams so im try find something along the same lines as tht. .

my whole question from the jump was tho. ., what about a mechanical flat tappet or something different than just the hyd. . sice the member at the top says hyds are girlie man cams. lls

Dannyringo 03-21-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackpanther68
so the lift on this cam is 454/468 is that 2 much?? cuz tht carb defintely did sound pretty good. . ive been viewin alot of howard cams so im try find something along the same lines as tht. .

No, I don't think so...Actually, put you in the 300/350 horse range. give or take a few...I myself went with the Quick Fuel 600cfm vacuum secondary carb and the airgap knock off after finding dyno results on the intake and cam...Comp Cams makes the 252/262 cam almost exact as mine..slightly less lift, so that can be a good cam also for your build. just enough to tell there is a cam in it and still get great gas milage also....Good gobs of low end tq for a street car...Infact I was just looking at some dyno results from the comp cam and with the airgap intake and the 600 cfm vacuum secondaries, they were getting almost 390 horse and over 400 tq.max figures and the average was in the 330hp range which is my target.

F-BIRD'88 03-21-2012 08:09 PM

Fully home port the 416 heads and add new 1.94" intake valves.
When your machinist does the new valve job get him to machine the guide boss shorter for aftermarket seals and increased valve lift.

Don't be shy with the porting Use a felpro 1205 intake gasket as a guide.
Shave the heads down to get the compression ratio up on the 307.
You want a 52-53cc finished chamber volume to get the cr up.
Install with a thin felpro 1094 gasket you want the compression ratio as close to 10.5:1 as possible.
Drill and roll pin the rocker studs. Do this yourself
Isky Z27 solid lifter cam #201027 Isky 235D springs. 1.75" installed height
282-282 247 247 @.050 .507 .507 108LSA .016 .018 lash
104 112 centers degree the cam in
1.5 rockers can be roller or good stamped steel.

Performer RPM manifold 650-750 holley.
4.56 4.88 gears.
9" race converter. 4000++ stall a 5000 stall is not too much
Shift it around 7000 rpm.

you will slay your fair share of 350's and 383's

www.iskycams.com

Dannyringo 03-21-2012 08:29 PM

[QUOTE=F-BIRD'88]Fully home port the 416 heads and add new 1.94" intake valves.
When your machinist does the new valve job get him to machine the guide boss shorter for aftermarket seals and increased valve lift.

Don't be shy with the porting Use a felpro 1205 intake gasket as a guide.
Shave the heads down to get the compression ratio up on the 307.
You want a 52-53cc finished chamber volume to get the cr up.
Install with a thin felpro 1094 gasket you want the compression ratio as close to 10.5:1 as possible.
Drill and roll pin the rocker studs. Do this yourself
Isky Z27 solid lifter cam #201027 Isky 235D springs. 1.75" installed height
282-282 247 247 @.050 .507 .507 108LSA .016 .018 lash
104 112 centers degree the cam in
1.5 rockers can be roller or good stamped steel.

At the cost of 92 octane @ $450+ per gallon and he wants this to be a daily driver, I think he better get stock in a major fuel chain.
The setup is not economical in today's screwed economics and ever soaring fuel prices....Also with the cost of parts and the cost of having a speed shop set up these heads and the added costs of the valve train being up to snuff for this high of cam, there are better choices for a daily driver. It will not be a good daily driver for his intentions...He did say he wants to drive this 4 days a week, or so...That makes this a daily driver...

blackpanther68 03-21-2012 08:43 PM

so all of tht stuff f88 firebird mentioned wouldnt b good 4 a daily driver? so far now the parts i do have are aluminum dual plane intake, the quadrajet 750, (friday) the 305ho heads. .

so the things i dont have yet are just the cam 4 real 4real. . the nova has a powerglide tranny 4 now but maybe a 700r4 joint in the future and the type of rear end where 1 tire pulls.

im just looking to get "Black Panther" 2 the point where she stops gettin whooped up on the street when someone tests me. and still be able to put 3 gallons in and drive where i want 2.

o yeah and my family is jii seasoned race car heads. my dad maybe knows how 2 do something with the heads. instead of gwappin it out at a machine shop. if tht means anything. cuz i would like compression up a bit. if the 305'z wont do it

327NUT 03-21-2012 08:47 PM

AHHHHHHH, you're a street racer, well then my suggestions will be kept to myself. I hope you get arrested and your car impounded.

Dannyringo 03-21-2012 08:47 PM

hyd cam vs mechanical cam

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackpanther68
so the lift on this cam is 454/468 is that 2 much?? cuz tht cam defintely did sound pretty good. . ive been viewin alot of howard cams so im try find something along the same lines as tht. .

my whole question from the jump was tho. ., what about a mechanical flat tappet or something different than just the hyd. . sice the member at the top says hyds are girlie man cams. lls

Everyone of my builds has been the Hyd. flat tappet cam,.Chevy, Ford and Chrysler have been making them for the last 50 years and they made zillions of them and all were tried and true. Once set, you can forget about them. Do you really plan on turning 7,00 rpm on the street today? Do you know what police do today, compared to yesterday....In the late 60's and 70's I only received 3 tickets for speeding, thank god on the highway and not on the street was I ever caught...Today, your car will get impounded and today you stand a better chance of loosing your ride, than yesterday...I can tell you this, because I was a Police officer in the 80's and have seen how times have changed in the last 10-15 years....

Hyd cams work well and are dependable and make hardly any noise compared to Mechanical...Also, your going to have to mess with the Mechanical valve train when MURPHY says you have to...You know Murphy..He gets into everything at the worst times, like when it is snowing 10 ft 5 up to your butt...Just my 3 cents with building a vehicle that is dependable, reliable and gives you time to spend with your girl friends and buddies as they try to fix their cars running Mechanical BIG CAM RUPPITY RUP cars when they break.....Kind of like being in a front line combat unit...All the parts in your weapon were made by the lowest bidders! Moreover, we all cheat trying to buy the best cheapest parts...
Sh@# happens

F-BIRD'88 03-21-2012 08:51 PM

The power glide is not going to work. A th700r4 is a waste of money on this one.
Get a th350 and a high stall converter. Don;t be shy on the converter or gears.

Buy a used Honda civic if you want gas mileage.
This car will drive very well on the street if you can keep your foot out of the gas it won;t be that bad on gas.
The cylinder head prep-machining is low buck dirt simple, near stock.
This is about as low buck as you can go.
Yes you can drive this to work.
The street fun factor will be hard to beat. You'll have a real fun 307 Nova.

blackpanther68 03-21-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 327NUT
AHHHHHHH, you're a street racer, well then my suggestions will be kept to myself. I hope you get arrested and your car impounded.

yu know what **** yu. . str8 like dat . id rock yo *** inda jaw if yu said tht shidd in my face fool. . not rockin like nuffin. aint nobody no street racer. but ppl do pull up beside me n test me. . get the **** off my thread clown