Can a 10 bolt hold up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2004, 11:08 PM
Big Block Bossa Nova

Wiki Edits: 0

Can a 10 bolt hold up

Hi all. I am currently dropping a 500 hp (rough guesstimation) Big Block in my 71 Nova. My question is will a 10 bolt rear end hold up? Im pretty sure mine is a 8.2 inch, but it MAY be a 8.5 inch, with all brand new gears. WIll a 10 bolt hold up to that much power? Also someone told me that it should hold up as long as I use street tires that will be able to spin a little bit before hooking. Can somone please help me with these questions?

Thanks

Rob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2004, 05:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

rear

If the rear is in overall good condition you will be ok if you are running street tires and a automatic. But remember you can break anything if you try hard enough.... The 8.5 would be a better choice of coarse...

Keith
Old 10-26-2004, 05:42 AM
Big Block Bossa Nova

Allright. Another thing I forgot to mention is that its a limited slip, not Posi rear end. I dont know if that makes a difference or not though. Im just looking for something that will hold up for a little while until I can replace it with a 12 bolt.

Rob
Old 10-26-2004, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

If its the original rear end it should be a 8.5".....Hot Rod did a story about 8.5" rear ends quite awhile back....said they are good for 650 HP if in good shape and properly prepared....axle tubes welded and such..... my nova...a 74 SS had the 8.5 in it....

good luck
nasty
Old 10-26-2004, 04:36 PM

Being a 71 I would expect that its a 8.2" my self. I agree it will probably live fine on the street assuming you aren't running big slicks and a manual if you wanted a little more beef you could go to the bone yard and grab a 8.5" from a later nova which is very close to the strenth of a 12 bolt for alot less money.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Last photo:

The differential will hold up, but let me tell you what happened to me and my 70 Nova. I had a small block developing probably 350-375hp. On street tires with open headers it would run the quarter in the mid thirteens. After a while the rear axle housing began to rotate off the spring perches. This could be solved by removing the short bolts and replacing them with U bolts that go completely over the housing instead of just through the spring perch. I never broke the rear gears in probably a 100 quarter mile passes.

Vince
Old 10-26-2004, 07:20 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

8.5" ten bolts showed up in Novas in 1972.

http://www.differentials.com/pdfs/46.pdf this will tell you what rear you have.

The 8.5 is considerably stronger than the 8.2. But 500 horsepower and gobs of torque from the big block will kill both of these rears in stock form, eventually, unless you go fairly easy on them.

Do you plan on doing much drag racing with the car?
Old 10-26-2004, 07:22 PM
Big Block Bossa Nova

I plan on making MAYBE 1 darg strip trip with the car, just to see what It will run. Besides that its mainly gonna be a street car. Will limited slip increase or decrease the life of the rear end?
Old 10-26-2004, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

Limited slip decreases the life of the rear, but you'll need it so bad it's not worth worrying about.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I think this is a little better link because not only are the covers different, but so are the housings and I think its probably a bit easier to tell from the housing-

10bolt guide

K
Old 10-26-2004, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

Killer if he can't tell the difference by looking at the drastically different 8.2 and 8.5 covers I don't think your link will help, in fact I don't think any link will help him. lol
Old 10-26-2004, 09:46 PM
Big Block Bossa Nova

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghetto Jet
Killer if he can't tell the difference by looking at the drastically different 8.2 and 8.5 covers I don't think your link will help, in fact I don't think any link will help him. lol

Well that wasn't very nice.. =) By looking at that page it seems the 8.2 inch has a drain plug on the cover. I know mine doesnt, but do they all come like that? And I know its not "oval" shaped which rules out the 7.5 inch rear end. So im guessing its the 8.5 inch rear end. I remember that the plug for putting gear oil in is on the top if the "chunk" area on the passenger side If I remember right.

Guys, im a 20 year old kid thats good at engines and really good at body work/painting, but when it comes to anything else I'll be the first to say Im very ignorant. Just wanted to say thanks for answering the questions I have, even thoguh they may seem "newb" to some of you old veterans.

Rob
Old 10-27-2004, 12:00 PM

if u look at the chevy high performance ad notice the 8.5 , at the lower part of the cover there are ears on the housing.. that is how i check .. an 8.5 can be built to handle up to 1000 hp and higher in some applications.. there are articles that show the 8.5 rear in a light car doing 8's in the quarter mile....
Old 10-27-2004, 12:17 PM

Last journal entry: Fixed some leaks
Last photo:

Posi and Positraction are marketing terms for a clutch type limited slip differential that GM produces.

When you say limited slip differential, do you mean open differential? Open is where you do a burn out and you would only spin one tire.

Limited slip is where the slip between the two tires is limited by some means, either clutch and spring, helical gears, viscous coupling, etc...there are many different ways of coming up with limited slip.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Big Block Bossa Nova

Well I went by my car today which is at the mechanics house. I got under there to look at the rearend and I still cant tell what kind it is. Its definitel not Oval, which rules out the 7 inch rear ends, but it didnt have any "ears" under the bottom, not square ones or pointy ones, so I still don't know what size it is. It didnt have a drain plug in the cover or anything. The only thing that kinda stuck out was that there seemed to be an upside down "V" raised in the cover. I am still stumped at to which rear-end I have.

Rob

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.