Hot Rod Forum banner

Can a 2003 4l60e be swapped over for a 2000 4L60e without issues ?

20K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  old yukon 
#1 ·
Q. Can a 2003 4l60e be swapped over for a 2000 4L60e without issues ?
Hi all

I need some expert advice regarding a replacement 4l60e for my 2000 Yukon 5.3 L 4x4.

The current 4l60e has problems and can’t be rebuilt.

I located a 2003 4l60e (see ID tag) that has the same bell housing, and same torque converter, even the pump is a 13 vane PWM pump.

The valve body has some differences (See images.)
1. the valve body has 4 not 5 solinoids (image 1a and b)
2. the worm track is different in this region (image 2)
3. the force motor is different ( image 3)

Q. Will I have a problem swapping in the new transmission.?

I will appreciate any help.

Old Yukon

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
From 1999 (LS applications w/300MM input/turbine shaft) through EARLY 2006 any 4L60E from behind a V8 application will interchange with other V8 equipped vehicles. Of course, you have to watch the 2 wheel drive, or 4x4 changes but INTERNALLY, ALL 1999-early 2006 transmissions are the same... Yes, I know the EPC changed in 2003/4, but as far as swapping them is concerned, 99-early 06 will swap. It gets MORE confusing when you take into consideration that you can retrofit the LATE 2006 through 2008 (with internal turbine speed sensors) transmissions into the 1999-early 2006 without issue, but you CANNOT swap a 1999-early 2006 into a late 2006 through 2008 vehicle. Also keep in mind that many of the V6 applications used the smaller 245MM input shaft and CANNOT be swapped into a V8/LS equipped vehicle as the bolt spacing on the torque converter is different.

ALL 1995 through 2008 60/65E's have the exact same # of solenoids internally;
2 shift solenoids
1 EPC (please note there are TWO different styles of connectors on these)
1 3-2 control solenoid
1 TCC PWM solenoid
1 TCC Lock-up solenoid permanently affixed to wiring harness
There is also a pressure manifold in these same years.

In 2009, GM deleted the 3-2 control solenoid, and also the pressure manifold. In 1993 and 1994 there was NO TCC PWM solenoid.

I'm not sure why you would be missing solenoids.. Is it possible someone has opened the trans before you got it and removed one of the solenoids?

Can you post an actual picture of the valve body with the missing solenoid?

If you have any more specific questions, please fire away!

#3 ·
Thanks Transmech

Thanks for the well informed and clear coverage of the interchangeability of the 4L60es. This is a good reference for the future.
You may be right with the fact that someone may have played around with the VB and removed one of the solenoids. What puzzles me is that the reman VB GM051 on the Sonnax website shows 4 solenoids for an 03 VB but in its description it states 5 solenoids, strange ?

Sonnax Remanufactured Valve Body - GM048.

I think I have what sonnex calls the gm049(pic attached) missing the TCC solenoids, the pan was dry when i took it apart.

I wish there were a detailed pictorial descriptive reference book with the evolution of the 700R4 from 1982 to the 4L60e to the current versions of this line of GM transmission. In this fictitious tranny bible it would include all the changes and problems for each stage and the fixes that can and have been applied. It would make for good armchair reading for us DIYers who aren’t as experienced as you tranny wizzes out there.

Thanks again

Old Yukon

Attachments

#4 ·
There is such a book.. It's called the 4L60E Update book (green cover) put out by ATSG.

GM THM 4L60E ATSG Update Handbook MANUAL Repair Rebuild Transmission Guide Book

While it will not answer ALL of your potential questions, it does spell out the differences between the solenoids and how to interchange them, and why GM changed them at various times. It also does a great job of covering the many different pumps. It is a wealth of information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.