Can a car have too much paint on it? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2004, 07:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Can a car have too much paint on it?

I am looking at a 69 Camaro that was stripped down to metal and then BC/CC painted 3 different times (I do not know why) is their any such thing as too much paint on a car and if so what kind of problems will it cause?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2004, 08:13 AM

Last photo:

The problem is not having too much paint on a car. The problems come about from poorly prepped surfaces. If the prep between paintings was not of the best quality, there could be problems down the road.

Are you talking "show quality" repaints, or "parade quality" repaints. The difference is that a parade quality job looks good 15 feet away at 10 miles per hour. Take a good look at the car. If the job was first rate, you should be good.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:51 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,166 Times in 1,028 Posts
I have to disagree, too much paint IS a problem. Three complete bs/cc paint jobs, you are talking about 15 to up to 25 mils. Depending on if these paint jobs where done by someone who believed you can't get it too thick!

You are talking as thick as a quarter!! You are asking for failure, and it will chip easy, MUCH easier than the eight or so mils a "normal" repaint would have. A factory late model car will have about six tops. If the painter were to have sanded the paint thin (especially on the edges) before every repaint, it wouldn't be so bad. But if he were to scuff and shoot it, you darn right there is too much material on that car.

This doesn't mean you throw the baby out with the bathwater. I look at a car in a BIG picture. I much rather have a car with a problem like that than one with more serious problems. I this car is super nice and UNMOLESTED with patchpanels and mix and match repro parts and other after births, than that paint is a small problem.

Let me ask you, how do you know it has three paint jobs? Have they told you that to explain away why the magnet doesn't stick to it?
Old 07-24-2004, 10:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I remember when I got my Willys in the mid 60s. It had at least 5 different colors of paint jobs (two different greens, white, orange, yellow and blue). It was so thick I could literally break chunks of paint off the edges of panels with my finger nails.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Paint can be too thick. Get a few rock chips and it will the leopard look, spots of different colors or shades. If or when it needs a paint job, strip it down. It never hurts to know what's under all that paint, bondo, rust, etc. Well, sometimes it does hurt. Dan
Old 07-25-2004, 06:17 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

When paint gets that thick, it chips really bad, and then peels of if sheets at the car wash.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 07-25-2004, 07:01 AM

Last photo:

For anyone writing estimates or buying cars the best investment you can make is buying a "electronic mil gage" They cost somewhere around $350+ .
Can't tell you how many cars I have looked at over the years to buy with perfectly hidden bodywork and than put mill Gage on it and won't show a reading. Means its full of filler.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:12 AM

Barry: Ive been curious about that tool, do you ever use it to gauge how thick a coat of cc ur putting on?

After reading those threads about staying within the mil range of a specific manufacturer or it'll fail.....I gotta tell ya I was a lil nervous of laying it down too thick or thin.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by sportbikeluvr
Barry: Ive been curious about that tool, do you ever use it to Gage how thick a coat of cc ur putting on?

After reading those threads about staying within the mil range of a specific manufacturer or it'll fail.....I gotta tell ya I was a lil nervous of laying it down too thick or thin.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do it all the time! Its call blue printing" 13 of the 32 cars that went through Barret Jackson last year had this.
What you do is from bare metal take picture lay epoxy and mill each panel and record, do 4-5 spot on each panel, same with 2K primer after final sanding and same with base after last coat and than the clear when done sanding and buffing.
To a purist this adds big dollars to value of vehicle.

Don't let the mils bother you that much! Yea less is best but as you learn to paint from one end of fender to other you may have a 5 mil difference. The most perfect painter is not as good as he thinks when you start milling his work-No One can get it even across the board.
Its kinda like a painter that tells you he never has a problem, you know hes lying.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:16 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

SO THEN what's the deal with people who say "My car has 10 coats of color and 3 coats of clear?" also i have had one coat of paint (w/o primer) blow off in sheets in the car wash.

why would they put so many coats of paint on?
Old 07-26-2004, 12:55 PM

anybody who says they have 10+ coats of color has got to be using a Laquer system. No?
Old 07-26-2004, 04:51 PM

Last photo:

I agree with you its either lacquer or they don't have a clue what their doing!
Base coat should be around a mil thickness, thats how thick a dollar bill is.
Only exception would be a tri stage custom job, maybe.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:46 PM

I have seen the same claim for years and even now with BC/CC. The OH I have X coats. Is it better to have a lot of clear? I have always put 3 thin color coats then 3 clear so that I can sand and buff it and still have some clear.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

Most manufactures want 2 mils of clear left for maximum UV protection, well its really not the manufactures saying this its Bayer who makes the Isocyanate's.
So now the question comes in how many coats of clear? Depends on how you spray your coats, wet or medium and are you using a High solids clear or a Medium solids? and there is a big range in medium solid so if you have a low grad one and compare to a high grade HS one coat of the HS may equal two of the medium solids.
Than the next problem is how do you wet sand and buff?
At the goodguys show in Iowa this month one of the famous builders and I were comparing cars he starts all wet sanding with 600 and works up in grit, I have started with 800 on a few occasions but 600 would scare me. As a result hes say he will break through in a few areas but just re-clears and does not worry about it.
On that car he said he broke through on two panels. He was shocked that I didn't' break through but I was using a higher solids them him as he was using Glamor of Dupont. He was also shock I beat him, but thats another story.
Best way to gage your work is do a mil test after base is done and than do a mill test before wet sanding clear and one when done buffing.
On the stang I had an average of 8 miles of clear when done.
On the vette I had an averages of 4 miles (estimate) my mile gage will not read fiberglass so I set up a panel at end of quarter so I know where I'm at. The vette had deltron single stage under neath so less clear was needed for a show finish.

Last edited by BarryK; 07-26-2004 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,166 Times in 1,028 Posts
I have seen guys do a bc/cc and put three or four coats of clear, cut it flat with 1000 and then put another three coats!

Guys, how long have you sanded on urethane primer after putting on three or four coats? Well, the clear has the same about of solids in it!! Those paint jobs with six or seven coats of clear are about 15 mils thick!!! That would bury a quarter!!!!

FAILURE, that is what you are waiting for when you have a mess like that.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.