Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Can closed cell foam be butted together?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 10:26 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
I would use foam to foam glue because the set-up time for the glue is only a few seconds instead of waiting for contact adhesive to dry.
I've been using K-grip to glue the foam to the panels. It says it is for foam to foam as well. HOWEVER, my fear with using K-grip is that it sets up Tooooooo fast. Using it so far I've found there is virtually zero ability to adjust the foam if you don't get it laid down exactly right the first shot. It bonds right now, like most contact cements.

And unlike the flat panels I've done, these small foam sections in the corner curve allow very little margin for error...I need to get that butt joint really tight and accurate AND I need to get the edges where the sections meet the flat panels on each side absolutely accurate as well. So I'm really concerned about how little leeway I have for adjusting the fit if I use a K-grip type contact glue.

I just got some 3M Super Trim to try out on some scrap piece to see if that might give me a little more breathing room to get those corner foam piece adjusted just right. You had indicated in the past that Super Trim would be adequate for vertical panels, just not overhead panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
...sand the joints flat and then cover the entire area by using contact adhesive and gluing something else that is stretchable, very thin, and can be applied in one piece.
Would K-grip be appropriate as the contact adhesive for this part of the process?