Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Can closed cell foam be butted together?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Foam to foam glue is just that, it is not high temp contact adhesive, so no, you can't use it for all the steps, only gluing foam to foam in non stressed areas. It can be used for gluing the foam to the panels if it is a small area, or if there will be stitching or something else to hold it down, but not a large area because it will let go when the temperature is above about 110 degrees. I have posted tons of information on this subject, but you don't seem to have read any of it. You have read everything ever printed from anybody who has ever gotten a book published on car interiors, but you take everything I tell you as tainted in some way. I guarantee that I have BY FAR more upholstery credentials than any of the people whose books you have read. I CAN'T HELP YOU IF YOU WON'T LISTEN TO ME.
There are certain things you just can't learn out of a book, especially when you have a vehicle like yours that is unique, and nobody has ever tried to upholster one before. This is not a '66 Mustang or a '57 Chevy. You can't learn world class upholstery from a book without somebody standing right next to you while you're learning. You haven't even been able to get a simple curved corner on a small insert panel right (post 11), and that is a baby step. The panel you show in post #11 should have not been spliced anywhere, the outside perimeter should have been one piece and then there would have been no problem with a splice showing. Is there more waste by doing it that way? Of course there is, but it wouldn't have to be done over two or three times, would it? In fact, if you cut the foam carefully, you could have done the whole panel, including the center piece, with one piece of foam, which would have been far less wasteful. How much closed cell foam does it take to do it two or three times? You can be penny wise and pound foolish with a lot of things, but this is not one of them.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 11-12-2009 at 09:02 PM.