Can heat affect your coil ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Can heat affect your coil ?

I installed a new MSD dist. new MSD wires.. new battery 8 degrees of timing runs great... almost perfect..
and then
It warms up and when it's around 200 * it hesitates , misfires , backfires and runs ruff when i give her goo goo juice . The coil im using is Accel Super coil cylinder shaped chrome joby. ( i could do without the fancy shmancy) Anyways its about 6000kms old maybe more . Could the heat be hindering or even damaging this coil? as well which is better oil filled or epoxy filled?

thanks again
billC

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by "70" Cougar
I installed a new MSD dist. new MSD wires.. new battery 8 degrees of timing runs great... almost perfect..
and then
It warms up and when it's around 200 * it hesitates , misfires , backfires and runs ruff when i give her goo goo juice . The coil im using is Accel Super coil cylinder shaped chrome joby. ( i could do without the fancy shmancy) Anyways its about 6000kms old maybe more . Could the heat be hindering or even damaging this coil? as well which is better oil filled or epoxy filled?

thanks again
billC
Doc here,

Nothing will kill a coil faster than heat...

First, Does your application require a ballast resistor? If so, and you don't have one, That is most of your heat / Failure...Install one!

If it has one, and Does not require one, Remove it..your not getting full power to the module..

Try a KNOWN good coil..and see if it perks up..If so (or even if not, and you don't have one) Upgrade to an OIL FILLED coil.

If that is not the problem, Check the module..Heat will damage them also, be sure it has The heat~Sink Grease generously Applied..Have the module tested / replaced. If you need a new one have it tested before you leave the store..they have a high fail rate from the box..and once you leave, It's your problem.

Doc
Old 09-04-2006, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

choked?

Are you sure the choke is releasing fully? I'm not convinced it's an electrical issue yet.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:

Hey guys.. well first of all.. how do i know if i need a ballast resistor? Also .. when you say module Im assuming your talking about the small 3inch by 3 inch ( or so) Chrome box that sits by the battery, well if its that .. then its brand new(10,000ish kms).. but i will maybe take it out and get the store to check it! Doc. you said to up grade to an oil filled coil, with that are you saying that they are better then the epoxy filled are not as good? Msd has there blaster "2" coil and they have a blaster high vibration coil.. I wonder which would be better for my application?
Hey Apache thats a good idea.. im gonna go out an check that out! I know my air cleaner fits kinda close but.. ya well see if there some interference.

Thanks kindly
bill
Old 09-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here ,

Refer to your installation instructions for information about Ballast resistors..( Some require them, some do not) OR check here:
MSD IGNITIONS
and download your specific manual.

THE MODULE IS either inside the Distributer or mounted just outside of it on the side..resembles this:(this is GM type..yours may look slightly different)

The oil filed are much better than the epoxy filed coils because they have the ability to self cool..using the oil as a media..

I don't think that Vibration is your problem at all unless your running 2000 HP on solid mounts..just get a STANDARD oil filled coil for high energy systems (40 KV should do nicely..) forget about the "bells and whistles" ..

Check that Choke as Apache Suggested..

I had a similar Problem that came through here, where an Eldebrock air-cleaner was installed, the down tube for the Breather (which was not connected) was actually holding the choke linkage closed..If that's the case, turn the base 30 degrees, OR , If not used carefully cut it off with a grinder, leaving just enough for a vacuum type plug to fit over it.

Doc .
Old 09-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:

Well new development... i checked choke... its fine... i installed a new coil.. its fine... and took it for a good romp! Ive narrowed it down alittle.. its not heat oriented. I believe it to be rpm specific! if im cruising in drive and get it to 4500rpm its running good no problems. In first and second as soon as it hits 4500 or just above it starts pop'n and farting which leads me to believe that its like.. in the distributer.. im not sure how so, but i think its there.. not like its bad .. just needs to be tuned or something.. Im also now at about 9, 10 deg* of advance and the throttle feels way snappy 'er idles awesome, goes into reverse great..
It acts up whether i floor it to 4500 ish or i bring it up slowly.

again thanks folks

Bill C
Old 09-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here

Sounds like your making progress!

Not Ford guy at all..What engine is this?

That being said..for an SBC 10 degrees is a bit retarded..thet like to see 12 to 14...what's yours supposed to be at?

Also considered an very slightly over tightened intake valve?

Just tossin' Ideas..from a Chevy guy..

Doc
Old 09-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:

hey doc. well its a 351 Cleavland HO heads. i believe the timing is supposed to be 8degrees but ya im at like 10 now..
Do you think that being retarded could make it run poor at 4500+ rpm ? If so could you explain ?
Also isn't 14 degrees adv. a lot much.. it just seems like a big number.. ( excuse my lack of knowledge sometimes)
Old 09-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Well, (again not a Ford guy) if the total timing was at full stop from being too far mechanically retarded at static or initial timing..It may not be reaching the full advance curve as required..

On a Chevy SBC, we START the static timing at 12 to 14 BTDC..and work from there..with total timing anywhere from 36 to 40 degrees..

What Ignition do you have ? Dura (Didja~Spark) Spark or The New MSD with auto Retard / Advance feature? Because I have heard the New (first ones) were all defective as well as the replacements that were sent..

Doc
Old 09-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:

lol well i appreciate the help ..haha (from a chev guy) Maybe you could find some ford guys to figure out some timing advance slash distributer issues.
Oh another thought.. if on my msd dist. the vacuum "rod" doesn't pull out all the way or enough .. would this be a possible fault?

bill
Old 09-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:

Well its the Ford ready to run Msd out of the box .. i bought it and installed it last week with a Mechanic overseeing. Maybe do i need to just keep advancing it ...? till the problem goes away.? Im really stumped.. also the new blaster "2" coil i installed today didn't help the problem.

thanks
billC

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.